Archive:2010 Daytrip RedHeather
|This is the sign up and organization page for an old trip. It already happened. Please do not sign up for it.|
An easy beginner friendly trip up to Red Heather on Saturday November 20th.
Skin up to the Red Heather hut, should be at the Hut by about lunchtime, then go and play round doing some yo-yo skiing in the open fields above the hut for the afternoon.
Be back in Vancouver sometime on Saturday night, depending on how good the snow conditions are.
Why is this Beginner Friendly? - this trip is beginner friendly in the sense that beginners to skiing are welcome and we will be happy to teach and wait for them, not in the sense that it is easy or safe. See the VOC definition of beginner friendly Here.
See Gear List. You'll need this stuff to survive, really.
Note that you can borrow equipment from the club for free. Gear_rental does require a cash deposit, however. The gear list is there for a reason, cotton clothes have been tested and failed.
Gear that you can get from the club:
- Skis (bindings are adjustable, ask when you pick them up, make sure they fit your boots)
- Skins (ask the QM - they let your skis go uphill, quite necessary for this trip. Make sure they fit your skis)
- Boots (make sure they fit your feet, and your skis)
Don't need avalanche gear
The road washed out at the start of the year so there's a Diamond Head Access Detour: Please use route through Quest University to get onto the Mamquam/Ring Creek Road that is used to access the Diamond Head Area of Garibaldi Park, as there is a washout on the lower portion of Mamquam Road. Directions for the detour are as follows:
- Turn right on Mamquam Road off HW 99 (north bound) as to normally access park,
- turn left on Highlands Way S,
- turn right onto The Boulevard and follow this road straight for ~1.5km until you reach a round-about at Quest University,
- take the first right on the round-about and follow this road to where it meets Mamquam Road,
- turn left onto Mamquam Road and continue to the Diamond Head Parking Area as per usual directions.
The trip meeting is Wednesday November 17th, 6:00pm, in the clubroom
If you can't attend the Pre-Trip meeting but still want to go contact Len Goff or Katherine Valentine and one of the drivers to make sure you have a ride.
|This is the sign up and organization page for an old trip. It already happened on 13-11-2010. Please do not sign up for it.|
Trip limited to 12 but if more want to come that will probably work too.
Please indicate skill level - both skiing and avalanche and also if you have a car
- Spencer Rasmussen (downhill)
- Gwyn Thomas (survived going up to red heather a few times/ have done AST 1/ might be able to drive)
We can sort this out at the pre-trip meeting