Archive:Black Tusk Meadows Nov 23 2008
Since my lovely wife Sandra will be off herding beginners at Brew, I figure it's only fair to organize my own competing ski trip just across the valley. The area around Black Tusk Meadows has excellent yo-yo ski terrain, both in the trees and in the alpine. This is an intermediate to advanced skiing trip for people with backcountry experience and avalanche training. Maximum trip size will be 12 people, splitting into 3 independent groups of 4 for skiing during the day.
If the weather is bad, we can camp at Taylor Meadows where there is a cooking shelter. If the weather is good we can camp wherever we want, probably higher up near the bottom of the ski runs below Black Tusk.
If it turns out that the snowpack is thin, or the snowline is high, the trip is still on. The meadows have smooth ground cover and are skiable with minimal snow. In this unfortunable event, it may be better to approach from the North via Cheakamus Lake, where you can drive to 1000m instead of 600m at Rubble Creek.
From a base camp at Black Tusk Meadows there are a lot of skiing options.
- Black Tusk (S, SE or NE sides)
- East Knob S side (right above camp)
- West Knob (S or W side)
- West side of West Knob (closer to Taylor meadows, but looks like an interesting area)
- Panorama Ridge (NW or NE side)
- Helm Glacier / Gentian Peak
- Empetrum Peak / Empetrum Ridge
|This is the sign up and organization page for an old trip. It already happened on 22-11-2008. Please do not sign up for it.|
MAX 12 people. Please indicate if you have a vehicle, skier level and avalanche training. Tent and cooking groups will be organized on or around November 20th
- Scott Nelson (expert skier, AST2)
2. Bruno Godin (no vehicle, expert skier, AST2)I'm out, waiting for gear and swamped with work/school -bruno.
- Sandra Nicol (vehicle, good-expert skier, AST 2) [note: Sandra queue jumps based on wife of the trip organizer priveleges]
- Ben Singleton-Polster (no vehicle, can get down whatever sketchy shit the 2 dudes above say they can do but it will not look nearly as pretty, AST2)
- Frances Sharpe (no vehicle, way better skier than Ben not that that is saying much, AST1)
- Krystil Koethler (my boyfriend signed me up without my permission and then he bailed on the trip, I have hinted that I will be lame and bail as well)
- Laura Morrison (no vehicle, pretty good skier, AST 1)
- Matthew Carroll (no vehicle, $CAN member, face planter extraordinaire, AST1)
- Jordan Best (Sandy's car, intermediate skier, AST1 equivalent)
- Sandy Deitlleux (vehicle, expert skier, AST2)
- David Roscoe (beater 2wd bald-tire car if needed, decent tele, no formal avi training but a few years BC experience)
- Em Beach
- Christian S.
- Natascha Hassing
- Thomas Renborg (No vehicle, Advanced skier, AST1 equivalent)
- Meghan Anderson
- Jasper Clarke
- Manuel Walter (No vehicle, intermediate skier, some avelanche chourses and touring experience)