Archive:Brew Hut March 2011
|This is the sign up and organization page for an old trip. It already happened. Please do not sign up for it.|
The Brew Hut is a sort of strange duck. In many respects, it's the easiest to get to of all of the VOC's huts; yet, at the same time, it probably has the highest failure rate and has seen some hilarious epics and debacles. My history with the hut isn't pretty. On one mission, I arrived at the trail head only to realize that I had forgotten my skins at home. On another attempt, I immediately took Vicky and I down the wrong branch of the logging road, thus making the car the closest we got to the hut that weekend. I haven't even been to the hut since we renovated it last summer. So, I think it's about time for me to try and lead some sort of beginner friendly debacle up to Brew and see if I can't push the success ratio a little closer to the 'win' side.
The pretrip meeting is Wednesday March 2nd, 6:15pm, in the clubroom. It will start promptly, so don't be late!
The trip is March 5th - 6th, 2011
The hut is warm, so you don't need to bring a whole lot on this trip.
This page has a good list of what people bring on a standard ski hut trip: Gear_lists#ski_hut_trip.
A basic list to start with is:
- A set of non-cotton clothes
- A wool sweater or fleece
- Some sort of waterproof(ish) layer
- Gloves or mitts
- Headlamp - ESSENTIAL
- Sunglasses and sunscreen. (We're hoping for good weather)
- Shovel, Beacon, Probe
- Food (Dinner, two lunches, and a breakfast.)
- Snowshoes/Skis and Poles
- Sleeping bag + mat
Current limit for trip participants is 16. That's how many people comfortably fit in the hut, though I've heard of as many as 19 squeezing in.
There's no waitlist, just add your name to the end. We'll see how we do for lifts at the pretrip. Please indicate if you'd be skiing or snowshoeing, if you have a car, and avi experience
- Phil Tomlinson - Skiing, has a car, AST2
- Vicky Alfred - Skiing, through common law status is a part owner of Phil's car, AST1
- Kelsey Alfred - Skiing, no car, no avi
- Marcin? - Skiing, sometimes has access to a van, rusty AST1 (presence dependent on biomechanical condition next week)
- Noriko O - skiing, no car, no avi. love bunny hills.
- Ian Johnston -Skiing, no can, rusty AST1
- Roland Burton I haven't been there for ages!
- Camille Bastien - Snowshoeing, no car, no avi
- Michael Uhlmann - Skiing, no car, no avi
- Len Goff - Skiing, no car, only tried outrun an avalanche once, AST1
- Katherine Valentine - skiing
- Evgeny S (?) - skiing, possibly driving, no avi
- Gaby Espino (skiing, no car, no avi)
- Sam Drove (Skiing, avi 1, truck) Quite unlikely to be at trip meeting
- Jeff Taylor - Skiing, no avi, no car
- Matt Parisien - Skiing, not driving, got avalanched once. Japanese-style AST1.
- Kathrin Lang (skiing, ASTI, no car)
- Sherri Tran (skiiing, AST1, no car)
Drivers and Passengers
Post here if you have a car. we'll organise lifts at the pretrip meeting.
Note it is up to passengers to contact drivers and discuss pickup time and location.
Franzi the Suby
Roland's Jeep Preferably from near UBC. Email me if you want a ride as my car might be full already.
- Camille Bastien
- Sherri Tran (though she's #18 and the Hut is supposed to hold 16 this weekend. Bailing is expected)