Difference between revisions of "Exec reports - Quartermasters"

From VOC Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search
(Current Exec Report)
(2016 - 2017)
 
(9 intermediate revisions by 4 users not shown)
Line 1: Line 1:
 
==Introduction==
 
==Introduction==
  
The Quartermasters (there are two) :
+
The Quartermasters (there are five) :
  
 
* Posts hours for taking out and returning [[Gear rental|gear]].
 
* Posts hours for taking out and returning [[Gear rental|gear]].
* Is at the Clubroom reliably, to issue and receive gear.
+
* Shows up at the Clubroom reliably, to issue and receive gear.
 
* Ensures that people taking out gear are treated fairly and have reasonable expectations about when the gear must be back and what if it isn't.
 
* Ensures that people taking out gear are treated fairly and have reasonable expectations about when the gear must be back and what if it isn't.
 
* Keeps track of gear, makes sure it is returned on time, in good shape, buys more if needed, looks for deals on gear, does inventories, tests transceivers.
 
* Keeps track of gear, makes sure it is returned on time, in good shape, buys more if needed, looks for deals on gear, does inventories, tests transceivers.
 
* Organizes the VOC Fall gear swap and/or [[workhikes|ski tuning session]].
 
* Organizes the VOC Fall gear swap and/or [[workhikes|ski tuning session]].
* Attends the spring [[MEC Gear Swap]] looking for deals.
+
* Attends the [[MEC Gear Swap]] looking for deals.
 
* Is heartless and insensitive in dealing with delinquents, repeat offenders, and gear hoarders.
 
* Is heartless and insensitive in dealing with delinquents, repeat offenders, and gear hoarders.
* A good position for somebody who intends to spend a couple of noon hours every week in the Clubroom, who is organized and is interested in what we are doing with the gear.
+
* A good position for somebody who intends to spend a couple of noon hours every week in the Clubroom, who is organized and is interested in what we are doing with the gear.  You get to find out who's actually doing trips in the Club.
  
 
==Current Exec Report==
 
==Current Exec Report==
  
===2008 - 2009===
+
===2016 - 2017===
 +
''Quartermasters: Kelsey Miller, Carly Peterson, Nick Uleryk-Carvalho, Bryan Starick, Anna Geller, Nick Hindley''
  
Another year has gone by. The gear room's been even busier than in the past, even more gear got borrowed, returned, broken, repaired, and re-broken. Last year's guidelines about 'quartermastering' are just as relevant now as they were last year. Given it's April, some of the tasks for the foreseeable future are as follows:
+
'''Major accomplishments:'''
  
1. Update/re-inventorise all our gear to help decide exactly what to purchase; this somewhat applies to the upcoming MEC Gearswap in May, and fully applies to utilising next year's enlarged gear budget.
+
*Purchase of 10 new Mammut beacons, doubling the number of avalanche packages available
 +
*Retired and replaced the older harnesses, ropes, and gaiters
 +
*Accepted several large gear donations
 +
*Expanded our winter fleet to include a splitboard and two pairs of (donated) AT skis (Both additions were overwhelmingly popular)
 +
*Generated lots of interest in maintaining our telemark ski fleet, giving members a chance to give back to the club and learn about gear maintenance
 +
*Offered gear-care workshops to teach members how to inspect club gear and their own gear
  
2. Acquire a second batch of spare parts from G3 to fix/re-fix all of our Targa bindings; choose suitable skis for the 5 pairs of good skins recently purchased new on sale and set them up. Tune/wax and put away all skis for the summer.
+
'''Recommendations for Future Years:'''
  
3. Look into the possibility of making the shift to different bindings - although it seems that staying with G3 is actually the way to go.
+
*Each QM should be responsible for quality control for a particular discipline of gear (skis, climbing, boots, etc.). This will ensure that gear will be checked more often and more thoroughly, and help prevent diffusion of responsibility, and encourage QMs to develop an area of expertise.
 +
*Make a formal gear inspection log to raise the standard of gear maintenance and help us keep better records.
 +
*Even though we added new beacons and shovel handles to increase the number of total avalanche packages, throughout the winter there appeared to be a shortage. It might be wise to increase the total number of packages by 5 (or more?).
 +
*Gear hours proved to be hectic at times, sometimes resulting in non-QMs entering the gear room and taking gear for themselves. While this is sometimes OK and understandable, this problem could be mitigated by having permanent and consistent QM Helpers.
 +
*Investigate options for purchasing additional (and easier to use) splitboards and second-hand AT skis.
 +
*Expand our snowshoe fleet, since demand was higher than ever this winter.
 +
*Organize more gear-care workshops early in each season. This ensures that our growing gear fleet is taken care of by the membership, and encourages individuals to take ownership of the club and the gear.
  
4. Reorganise shelving/storage in the gearroom as we're stuck with it for a few more years and we don't have enough space for everything the way things are set up.
+
'''Time commitment:'''
  
5. Go over climbing gear and make sure the annual new rope is purchased before Longhike.
+
*Minimum: two hours per week (one gear hour, and one exec meeting hour), and leading two trips during the year. This includes summer holidays, when we like to offer at least two gear hours per week.
 +
*Every exec member is encouraged to take on roles outside of their elected position. Examples include organizing workhikes, volunteering at fundraisers, instructional trips, editing the journal, taking care of the clubroom, gear repair, maintenance & purchase, and miscellaneous club initiatives.
  
===2007 - 2008===
+
===2009 - 2010===
  
''Quartermasters: Piotr Forysinski, Andrew Silversides''
+
''Quartermasters: Piotr Forysinski, Lisa Pittl, Jacob Slosberg, Stephen Mullen''
  
As the number of active beginners in the VOC increases, so does the usage of the gearroom. A pretty simple equation, and yet it can wreak havoc pretty efficiently. It's been a very busy year in the gear room, with really extensive usage of basically all of our gear. That's definitely a great thing, as it means an increasing number of people have been finding their way into the great outdoors and having fun out there. However, it has also made it rather hard to keep everything organised. Numerous skis and snowshoes have died in action, and the 'old VOC skis' expression may become a remnant of the past in another season or so. New plastic boots just eat old aluminum bindings, full stop. We did acquire a number of new ski/skin/binding sets, and a number of snowshoes got sent for repairs (and repaired) at the beginning of the year. We hope to buy a significant amount of gear at the spring MEC gearswap, which will take place on May 4th, following our 'Gear Plan'. The four new ropes we purchased at the beginning of the year before Longhike as part of the plan have been in frequent use, and have allowed us to discontinue the use of horrible old ropes. We also plan to buy rope tarps for these ropes, because they have been getting really dirty in the 'sunny and dry' conditions we've had recently. With the skiing season almost over (at least in the common usage of the term; I plan to ski well into July...), it is now time to carefully assess numerous broken things, swap bindings around, buy new stuff at the gearswap and prepare for next winter. In the meantime, rock climbing and mountaineering gear is being rented out, but luckily is significantly less problematic than skiing gear.
+
Draft:
 +
refer to "5-year gear plan"... likely this needs updating, as our gear funding has increased and we've got a few surprise injections of cheap/free gear
  
As for a quick description of what a quartermaster's duties have been, here goes a list:
+
Opperations:
 +
-the gear-room safe for gear deposits -- keys/combo
  
1. post gear hours, and hold gear hours. With gear demand like this year, a whole hour every weekday around lunchtime seemed to work. Some were quieter than others, but at least once or twice a week a gear hour would stretch to a gear-hour-and-a-half with utter chaos in the clubroom throughout the time period. Some people who don't work on campus will keep asking for evening hours; for those we usually made individual appointments. Attending slideshows/pre-trip meetings and the like usually ends up in dealing with gear too. Between 2 quartermasters, having 3 gear hours each seems to work - including one partially overlapping 'mega-hour-and-a-half when you get to talk to your fellow quartermaster, if for some reason you don't see him/her anyway outside of gear hours...
+
Ski equipment:
 +
-attempt to standardize the bindings by only purchasing G3 Targa's (note: T/9 versions have aluminum toeplates, and should be avoided like the plague)
  
2. keep track of gear, bug people who don't return stuff on time.
+
Beacons:
 +
-20 BCA Trackers were purchased this year on a pro-deal through BCA (negotiated by Jacob). There have been a few units that have been acting up.  They should be sent back to BCA for a diagnostic.  If this hasn't been done as of May 2010, it should. If it has been done, the new quartermasters should be expecting the units returned sometime over the summer, OR check back with BCA late summer to find out what's up with our beacons
  
3. try to fix things and sort things on-the-fly, organise bigger fixing sessions (such as ski tune-up)
+
-7 or 8 Ortovox F1 beacons were sent back to Ortovox Canada (calgary) in Dec. '09 for diagnostic & service.  They havn't been returned yet.  Stephen will check up on this.
  
4. deal with memberships/book loans/belay tests/general enquiries in the clubroom
 
  
5. keep the clubroom in a liveable, non-stinky state, as you are the person who spends the most time there. We perhaps failed on that front, but I will try to tidy things up a bit over the summer.
+
Contacts at G3: (bindings & parts, shovels & probes)
 +
-when new parts are required to maintain our binding fleet, contact Marty Lazarski (martyl@genuineguidegear.com), or Stephen France (stephenf@genuineguidegear.com.  They're both in Customer service, and Stephen is ex-VOC (and stoked to help us with gear)
 +
 
 +
General equipment:
 +
-Jacob has contacts with NOLS.  (skis & Voile bindings, mountaineering gear, etc).  He can fill in the details here:
 +
 
 +
-Stephen & Veenstra have had good dealings with Tim Michell (TMitchell@mec.ca).  He's the warrenty guy at MEC head office.  He'll likely have gear from time to time that MEC will donate to the VOC. Tim is the type of guy that 'doesn't like to see the gear get thrown out'.  This is gear that's been warrantied by MEC members, has been determined to be a manufacturer's issue, and the manufacturer does't want it back for testing.  It is given to us with the understanding that we'll never attempt to return it to MEC (that'd be fraud), or never sell it (it was donated in good faith).  It's donated 'as-is', and WE need to assess whether it's safe to use.  Often it's only one small part of the gear that is affected (ie, broken cable on an otherwise brand new tele binding).  multiple broken bindings can be combined into good bindings, or good parts can be salvaged as spares.  Often, gear will be donated that is outside of the scope of the club's rental fleet, ie light hiking boots, water filters, headlamps, or camping mats.  These items can be given to 'needy' VOC'ers, (maybe upon the completion of a work hike -- ie. fix 2 or 3 leaky camp mats, return 2 good ones to the club, and keep one for themselves).
  
 
==Past Exec Reports==
 
==Past Exec Reports==
  
[[Exec Report - Quartermasters 2006 - 2007]]
+
[[Exec report - Quartermasters 2008 - 2009]]<br>
 +
[[Exec report - Quartermasters 2007 - 2008]]<br>
 +
[[Exec report - Quartermasters 2006 - 2007]]<br>
  
 
[[Category:Exec reports]]
 
[[Category:Exec reports]]
 
[[Category:Exec reports - Quartermasters]]
 
[[Category:Exec reports - Quartermasters]]
 
[[Category:Executives]]
 
[[Category:Executives]]

Latest revision as of 18:07, 6 March 2017

Introduction

The Quartermasters (there are five) :

  • Posts hours for taking out and returning gear.
  • Shows up at the Clubroom reliably, to issue and receive gear.
  • Ensures that people taking out gear are treated fairly and have reasonable expectations about when the gear must be back and what if it isn't.
  • Keeps track of gear, makes sure it is returned on time, in good shape, buys more if needed, looks for deals on gear, does inventories, tests transceivers.
  • Organizes the VOC Fall gear swap and/or ski tuning session.
  • Attends the MEC Gear Swap looking for deals.
  • Is heartless and insensitive in dealing with delinquents, repeat offenders, and gear hoarders.
  • A good position for somebody who intends to spend a couple of noon hours every week in the Clubroom, who is organized and is interested in what we are doing with the gear. You get to find out who's actually doing trips in the Club.

Current Exec Report

2016 - 2017

Quartermasters: Kelsey Miller, Carly Peterson, Nick Uleryk-Carvalho, Bryan Starick, Anna Geller, Nick Hindley

Major accomplishments:

  • Purchase of 10 new Mammut beacons, doubling the number of avalanche packages available
  • Retired and replaced the older harnesses, ropes, and gaiters
  • Accepted several large gear donations
  • Expanded our winter fleet to include a splitboard and two pairs of (donated) AT skis (Both additions were overwhelmingly popular)
  • Generated lots of interest in maintaining our telemark ski fleet, giving members a chance to give back to the club and learn about gear maintenance
  • Offered gear-care workshops to teach members how to inspect club gear and their own gear

Recommendations for Future Years:

  • Each QM should be responsible for quality control for a particular discipline of gear (skis, climbing, boots, etc.). This will ensure that gear will be checked more often and more thoroughly, and help prevent diffusion of responsibility, and encourage QMs to develop an area of expertise.
  • Make a formal gear inspection log to raise the standard of gear maintenance and help us keep better records.
  • Even though we added new beacons and shovel handles to increase the number of total avalanche packages, throughout the winter there appeared to be a shortage. It might be wise to increase the total number of packages by 5 (or more?).
  • Gear hours proved to be hectic at times, sometimes resulting in non-QMs entering the gear room and taking gear for themselves. While this is sometimes OK and understandable, this problem could be mitigated by having permanent and consistent QM Helpers.
  • Investigate options for purchasing additional (and easier to use) splitboards and second-hand AT skis.
  • Expand our snowshoe fleet, since demand was higher than ever this winter.
  • Organize more gear-care workshops early in each season. This ensures that our growing gear fleet is taken care of by the membership, and encourages individuals to take ownership of the club and the gear.

Time commitment:

  • Minimum: two hours per week (one gear hour, and one exec meeting hour), and leading two trips during the year. This includes summer holidays, when we like to offer at least two gear hours per week.
  • Every exec member is encouraged to take on roles outside of their elected position. Examples include organizing workhikes, volunteering at fundraisers, instructional trips, editing the journal, taking care of the clubroom, gear repair, maintenance & purchase, and miscellaneous club initiatives.

2009 - 2010

Quartermasters: Piotr Forysinski, Lisa Pittl, Jacob Slosberg, Stephen Mullen

Draft: refer to "5-year gear plan"... likely this needs updating, as our gear funding has increased and we've got a few surprise injections of cheap/free gear

Opperations: -the gear-room safe for gear deposits -- keys/combo

Ski equipment: -attempt to standardize the bindings by only purchasing G3 Targa's (note: T/9 versions have aluminum toeplates, and should be avoided like the plague)

Beacons: -20 BCA Trackers were purchased this year on a pro-deal through BCA (negotiated by Jacob). There have been a few units that have been acting up. They should be sent back to BCA for a diagnostic. If this hasn't been done as of May 2010, it should. If it has been done, the new quartermasters should be expecting the units returned sometime over the summer, OR check back with BCA late summer to find out what's up with our beacons

-7 or 8 Ortovox F1 beacons were sent back to Ortovox Canada (calgary) in Dec. '09 for diagnostic & service. They havn't been returned yet. Stephen will check up on this.


Contacts at G3: (bindings & parts, shovels & probes) -when new parts are required to maintain our binding fleet, contact Marty Lazarski (martyl@genuineguidegear.com), or Stephen France (stephenf@genuineguidegear.com. They're both in Customer service, and Stephen is ex-VOC (and stoked to help us with gear)

General equipment: -Jacob has contacts with NOLS. (skis & Voile bindings, mountaineering gear, etc). He can fill in the details here:

-Stephen & Veenstra have had good dealings with Tim Michell (TMitchell@mec.ca). He's the warrenty guy at MEC head office. He'll likely have gear from time to time that MEC will donate to the VOC. Tim is the type of guy that 'doesn't like to see the gear get thrown out'. This is gear that's been warrantied by MEC members, has been determined to be a manufacturer's issue, and the manufacturer does't want it back for testing. It is given to us with the understanding that we'll never attempt to return it to MEC (that'd be fraud), or never sell it (it was donated in good faith). It's donated 'as-is', and WE need to assess whether it's safe to use. Often it's only one small part of the gear that is affected (ie, broken cable on an otherwise brand new tele binding). multiple broken bindings can be combined into good bindings, or good parts can be salvaged as spares. Often, gear will be donated that is outside of the scope of the club's rental fleet, ie light hiking boots, water filters, headlamps, or camping mats. These items can be given to 'needy' VOC'ers, (maybe upon the completion of a work hike -- ie. fix 2 or 3 leaky camp mats, return 2 good ones to the club, and keep one for themselves).

Past Exec Reports

Exec report - Quartermasters 2008 - 2009
Exec report - Quartermasters 2007 - 2008
Exec report - Quartermasters 2006 - 2007