The VOC currently maintains four huts :
- Brew Hut just south of Mt Brew, between Brandywine Creek and Roe Creek.
- Harrison Hut near Meager Hotsprings, west of Pemberton.
- Brian Waddington Hut in Phelix Creek (Birkenhead Park) area.
- Burton Hut in Sphinx Bay on Garibaldi Lake, Garibaldi Provincial Park.
Check out the Hut Maintenance page for info on past and ongoing projects.
Also check the lost and found page for gear left behind in and around the VOC huts.
There is a long history of VOC huts dating back to the late 1910s when the first cabin was built on Hollyburn Mountain.
Reservations, and fees for usage
VOC huts are open to all non-mechanized, non-commercial groups. There is no reservation system. However, all groups are encouraged to register on the VOC Hut Registration page. This is simply to reduce the possibility of large groups running into each other at a small hut and does not give any group priority to use the hut.
VOC huts, except for the Sphinx (Burton) Hut are free to current, membership-paying VOC members. As of summer 2011, parking in Provincial Parks is free, but staying overnight costs you $10 per person per night. Therefore if you stay at the Sphinx (Burton) Hut, you must pay $10 per person per night to BC Parks, even though you might be a VOC Member. You can pay the Parks fee online, go to:https://secure.camis.com/DiscoverCamping/Backcountry/Garibaldi?Map The penalty for not paying is $144 per person.
VOC Honorary Members (formerly called Alumni Members) and other users should pay $10/person/night to VOC for hut maintenance to the blue box (No blue box at Sphinx). Or make out a check to the Varsity Outdoor Club and send it to:
Varsity Outdoor Club Room 3500 – 6133 University Blvd. Vancouver, BC V6T 1Z1
Commercial users should contact the VOC before using the huts.
Prior to April 2013 we used to charge users $5 but we've noticed that this does not cover the cost of recent renovations, and in 2014 we flew in firewood to brew and building materials to Harrison. Helicopters are expensive...
About Non-Motorized Recreation
It's no secret that there have been issues regarding the coexistence of motorized (generally snowmobiles) and "self-propelled" recreation (generally skiers and snowshoers) throughout the sea-to-sky corridor. In order to try and combat the flood of misinformation surrounding the topic the VOC is making an attempt to organize information regarding the areas surrounding our huts. See the Winter recreation zoning near VOC huts page for details.
VOC's Hut Maintenance program...
Most of our hut maintennce is done during the summer, when the weather's better and access is easier, but most of our Members are out of town then and can't contribute. Typical activities include hauling out garbage left by others, painting, replacing windows, keeping the Coleman appliances working, keeping our outhouses somewhat sanitary. We can always use help. If you see something that needs attention, let us know.
To see what's happening, check out Hut Maintenance.
Additionally, VOC members often visit other huts in southwest British Columbia:
- Keith's Hut in Cerise Creek
- Wendy Thompson Hut at Mariott Basin
- Himmelsbach Hut at Russet Lake
- Wedgemount Hut at Wedgemount Lake
- Mountain Lake Hut on the divide between Furry and Brittania Creeks
- Tantalus Hut at Lake Lovelywater in the Tantalus Range
- Jim Haberl Hut in the Serratus-Dione Col in the Tantalus Range
- Sentinel Bay Glaciology Huts in Sentinal Bay, Garibaldi Lake
- Elfin Lakes Shelter a colossal masterpiece in the Diamond Head area of Garibaldi Park
- North Creek Cabin and other BCMC huts
- Lizzie Lake Cabin
- Elsay Lake Cabin
- Snowspider Hut
- Pebble Creek Hut
- Bachelor Lake Cabin Tetrahedron Plateau
- Edwards Lake Cabin Tetrahedron Plateau
- Mount Steele Cabin Tetrahedron Plateau
- McNair Lake Cabin Tetrahedron Plateau
- Henrietta Lake cabin Woodfibre
- Tenquille Lake Cabin
- Knuckleheads Cabin Powell River
These are small enough that they don't really count as huts, but a few people could sleep in them if needed.
- Golden Ears emergency shelter
- Kallahne Cabin
- Magnesia Meadows Emergency Shelter
- Brunswick Lake Emergency Shelter
- Windy Joe Shelter in Manning Park
- Frosty Creek Cabin in Manning Park