Summer Peak Bagging Challenge
The idea for the competition is to encourage people to get out into the mountains as they possible can, along with an added competitive and fun aspect. I have created a points system based on the technicality of the ascent, as well as a number of challenging, fun, and sometimes ridiculous score multipliers and bonus points. Contact us if you have any bonus point suggestions! they will be considered. Our sponsors, Valhalla Pure Outfitters - Vancouver and GrandWall Equipment, have donated some prizes, which will be announced soon!
- Must be a named moutain/peak
- Peak must be over 1,400m
- Minimum 500m elevation gain from trailhead
- Peak must have >100m vertical prominence from other peaks submitted
- Pics or didn’t happen - Photo proof required at peak (*For 5th class ascents where the peak could be hiked to, photo is required on the climb)
- Bagging Season runs from May 1st to August 31st (Only peaks bagged in this period will count.)
- A peak can only be bagged once (for competition purposes, that is) (You will not receive any additional points for repeat ascents.)
- Multipliers and bonus points will be applied after submission, based on difficulty, style, and shenanigans (See ‘Multipliers and Bonus Points’ section.)
- Open to registered/current VOC members
- 1 Peak Bagged = 10 Points
- (10 points + Peak Bonus) x Multiplier = PeakScore
- Multipliers are cumulative. (eg. (10 x 1.2) x 1.3 = 15.6 points)
- Peak Bonuses are applied for each peak. Subject to multipliers.
- Daily Bonuses are valid once daily, only if at least 1 peak is bagged that day. Not subject to multipliers.
- Seasonal Bonuses are applied once per season, and are cumulative. Not subject to multipliers.
The Scoreboard (Multipliers & Bonus Points)
The scoring can get complicated... Contact [email protected] to settle discrepancies. This section will be updated regularly through the season, so keep an eye out for new bonuses!
|1 peak =||10 points|
Multipliers are cumulative.
|On a multi-day trip||x1.1|
|On a VOC trip||x1.2||'Official' VOC trips only (trip agenda)|
|10 people on a peak at once||x1.2|
|Mountaineering objective||x1.1||Glacier gear required|
|Class 4 scrambling||x1.1|
|5th class climbing||x1.1 (+0.1 for each grade over 5.6)||5.7 = x1.2, 5.8 = x1.3 …etc. eg.The Nose of Mt. Habrich (5.10-): 10 points x 1.5 = 15 points|
Peak bonuses are applied to each peak. Subject to multipliers. More to be added soon.
|Peak Bonus||Bonus Points||Comments|
|'Captain Morgan' summit pose||+0.5 points|
|Wearing pool floaties in summit shot||+1 point||Must be more substantial than water wings|
|Naked summit shot||+2 points||Hiking boots permitted|
|VOC trip leader||+2 points||Applied to any peaks you bag on a VOC trip that you organized (2 weeks trip agenda notice req.)|
|Obscurity bonus||+1 to 5 points||Assigned at our discretion to out of the ordinary summits in the bag|
Daily bonuses are valid once daily, only if at least one peak is bagged that day. Not subject to multipliers
|Daily Bonus||Bonus Points||Comments|
|Write a trip report within a week||+0.5 points||...and post to ubc-voc.com|
|Summit a peak outside of BC||+1 point|
|Exceptional approach||+1 points||Awarded at our discretion for interesting approaches, eg. skiing to a climb, or climbing to a ski line|
|>15km day||+2 points||Biking does not count towards this|
|>30km day||+3 points||Biking does not count towards this|
|>45km day||+5 points||Biking does not count towards this|
|>2000m elevation gain||+2 points|
|>4000m elevation gain||+4 points||What are you|
|3 peaks in a day||+1 points|
|5 peaks in a day||+2 points|
|7 peaks in a day||+2 points|
|Road bike approach||+1 point for every 10km||Approach only, paved road|
|Mountain bike approach||+1 points for every 5km||Approach only, steep non-paved road|
|Sea-to-Summit||+4 points||Start at sea level, summit a peak. Bikes allowed.|
Valid once per season. Not subject to multipliers.
|Seasonal Bonus||Bonus Points||Comments|
|10 peaks||+5 points|
|20 peaks||+10 points|
|30 peaks||+15 points|
|40 peaks||+20 points|
|50 peaks||+25 points||So you climb mountains, eh?|
- Fill out the google form for every peak you bag.
- Google form found here: http://bit.ly/2oP9MdF
- Include photo file name in google form
- Email your summit photo to [email protected] (Important)
I will try to sort through the submissions as fast as I can to allocate points! You can check the leaderboard and see how you’re doing against others
The awesome guys at Valhalla Pure Outfitters - Vancouver have been kind enough to donate an Arc'teryx Alpha FL Jacket as the grand prize! GrandWall has also donated one of their new edition, CrossFish ice axes, as well as some other assorted climbing gear.
Following the Competition
Check out the message board, or the Facebook group ‘2017 Summer Peak Bagging Challenge’ for updates, new multipliers and bonus points, and other updates! Also feel free to email [email protected] if you have any questions!
Get out there and bag some peaks!!