Gear Rental Hours (when the Clubroom will be open)
Hours are subject to change at short notice... Please check the website immediately before you come. http://www.ubc-voc.com/wiki/Gear_Hours
There are no gear hours on public holidays.
ATTENTION: People trying out skis + boots for the first time: give yourself 30 minutes. Please do not show up at the end of gear hours!
There will be no gear hours during reading week (Feb 19th-23rd), so plan ahead and get any gear you'll need during gear hours this week
- Monday: Nick Uleryk-Carvalho: NO HOURS FEB 19
- Wednesday: Esther Li 17:00 - 18:00 (14th Feb Only)
- Thursday: Esther Li 17:00 - 18:00
- Friday: Alastair White 10:15 - 11:15 (NO HOURS FEB 23RD)
At other times the Clubroom may be open. However, gear rental and return is only possible during the gear hours posted above.
Please arrive with enough time to pick out the gear before gear hours end. Bring cash for refundable gear deposit
If you absolutely cannot make it to any of the posted hours and need to meet the Quartermasters outside of gears hours due to scheduling conflicts, ask nicely and respect their time. Your best bet is to email the quartermasters and be prepared to bring some small bribe (food or drink generally works well). Please remember that all the quartermasters are students volunteering their time, and like most students they are often very busy and cannot always accommodate requests to meet outside of gear hours.
Note that it is not appropriate to leave gear outside or inside the Clubroom when the gear room is locked.
Last updated Feb 14th, 2018
The elected Club Executive meets once a week to discuss upcoming events and generally make the Club run as smoothly as possible. Sometimes this involves mostly putting out fires, and sometimes it involves far-ranging philosophical discussion. If you would like to attend an Exec meeting you can do so, but please realize that these people are pretty busy, so don't interrupt. If you have something to present, talk to the president before the meeting so it can be scheduled. If you just want to renew your membership, probably this can be done without interrupting the meeting and you should do it after in most cases. If you want to take out gear, this is not the time to do it.
Each year we discuss when to hold Exec meetings, to maximize the number of Exec who can be there. Everyone is welcome to come though.
- 2018 January - April: Weekly Thursdays 5:00pm - 6:00pm
- 2018 April - August: Bi-Weekly TBD
- 2018 September - December: Weekly TBD
The minutes from past exec meetings are available for members to read.
If you're interested in what the exec did the previous years, you could check out the exec reports.
Monday Open Clubroom Hours
From January-April 2018 the VOC Clubroom will be open on Mondays from 5:30pm to 7:00pm. There are NO gear hours during this time. During the open gear hours you can:
- take out or read a book from our Library
- activate your VOC membership, buy swag or pay for other things you might need to pay for
- get advice for how to do things, like organizing a trip, how to pack better, how to reduce faff, etc.
- wax/sharpen your skis (bring $5 to cover the cost of wax/base cleaner/ptex you use)
- cut rope using our hot knife rope cutter
- do other gear maintenance stuff with the equipment we have
- just hang out with other VOCers!
Monday Open Workhikes
There will be a few other things happening during this time and if you are interested in sitting on/helping out you are welcome to (it also counts as a workhike!):
- Huts Committee from 5:30pm to 6:00pm: We discuss everything related to VOC Huts & Trails and the projects going on related to them.
- Weekly Wiki Workhikes from 6:00pm to 6:45pm: This is a weekly workhike for any VOCer to join in! We make edits and updates to the content on the VOC wiki.
- There might also be some other gear related help that the quartermaster may organize during this time as well.
For more information contact George Hill Last updated January 08, 2018