This is a list of things the club (ie exec) should pick dates for early in their term, to limit craziness to a dull roar. This one is for the 2009-2010 year, but hopefully the trend continues... Note that there are a lot of things that every exec needs to do not listed here.
Note: This page is going to look messy for a while, but please don't move everything around or try and tidy up too much. I'm trying to get myself organized here and wanted a place I can access easily from anywhere and will be publicly visible. Thanks. --Bigbadbasstrombone 18:38, 16 April 2009 (PDT)
- 1 Important Dates
- 2 Vice President
- 3 Membership
- 4 FMCBC Rep
- 5 Trips coordinator
- 6 Special Projects
- 7 QMs
- 8 Journal Editor
- 9 Archivist
- 10 Somebody
And some others we can't move... Most dates are from here.
- Tuesday, 1 September 2009 Academic Year begins.
- Wednesday 23 Sept -- Friday 25 Sept 2009 Clubs Days.
- Monday, 12 October 2009 Thanksgiving Day. University closed.
- Wednesday, 11 November 2009 Remembrance Day. University closed
- Friday, 4 December 2009 Last day of classes for most faculties.
- Tuesday, 8 December 2009 December examinations begin for most faculties.
- Tuesday, 22 December 2009 Last day of December examinations for most faculties.
- Monday, 4 January 2010 Term 2 begins, Winter Session: All faculties.
- Monday, 15 February 2010 Two-week extended mid-term break for most faculties begins (February 15 to 26 inclusive). Note that the UBC schedule gives a two week reading break. Maybe due to the Olympics?
- Monday, 1 March 2010 Back in class after huge break.
- Friday, 2 April 2010 + Monday, 5 April 2010 Easter. University closed.
- Thursday, 15 April 2010 Last day of classes for most faculties.
- Monday, 19 April 2010 Term 2 examinations begin (day and evening classes) for most faculties.
- Saturday, 1 May 2010 Last day of Term 2 examinations for most faculties.
- Saturday, 31 October 2009 Halloween.
Article on how the Olympics will make your life... different.... I've emailed Vanoc to try and get some specific information about backcountry access and transportation restrictions during the games.
- Friday February 12 - Sunday February 28th Olympics
- Friday March 12 - Sunday March 21st Paralympics
Take care of the big social gatherings, all the details are described in the exec report, but a few things need to get booked as soon as possible.
- Book date and location. Ideally the date is in the end of 2nd term just before exams start and the location allows music and dancing after 11pm.
- Sort out other details: Liquor, slideshow (if there is going to be one), DJ ect.
- Contact Evans Lake to book date
- Sort out other detail: finding instructors, sell tickets ect.
- Set date and book location
- Sort out other details like slideshow ect.
- Sarah books it Dec. 2nd in MASS
Recruiting new members
There are a couple of events in the beginning for first term. These need some preplanning like copying pamphlets, finding volunteers ect.
- Main carnival event, first day of classes.
- Club days, mid September. Try to get a good booth
- Other random events, like mini club days at Place Vanier
Update membership forms
Enter all the membership forms into the computer as soon as you can. Go to the clubroom a few days a week at lunch to help people sign up and to check your mailbox for new forms
Make sure FMCBC gets their $10 per member (liaise with Treasurer):
- First instalment needs to be paid in May (usually $3000, actually wants the payment in April but since our fiscal year starts in May we can probably delay, this is less critical for us since we don't use the FMCBC insurance)
- Second instalment needs to be paid when membership numbers are "finalized," usually the following March/April
- Attend the FMCBC AGM (usually in June, this year in Prince George, June 6)
- Send ACC the list of student members so they can get their free ACC membership, but wait long enough for most to join (November is probably a good time)
Intro night for new members
- Set date for 'Intro evening for new members' and book a room. The date should be just after club days
- Make sure lots of beginner friendly trips are coming up in the near future
- Book date and location (contact the Flavelles to find out if they were ok with a large group if going up to Cerise)
- Sort out other details like finding instructors, buying prussiks ect.
- Last year 3 different sessions was run
- Secure dates with Linda Knight (secretary at Canada West Mountain school)
- Sort out details like advertisement, payment ect.
- Set date
- Sort out details like instructors, location ect.
There are a lot of tasks which should be done eventually by a keen leader, and some which need to get done every year just to maintain the status quo. See the Hut Maintenance page for "some day" ideas.
Note that some of these trips could get combined, if necessary
- One trip with the intent of general maintenance on each of the huts see VOC hut maintenance for ideas, in addition to fixing stuff as it breaks. This could be two trips - a reconaisasnce and a workhike, depending on reliability of available information.
- Brew needs wood dragged up from the old hut and cut into stove lengths, and stacked neatly in the wood shed for winter.
- All trails maintained by the VOC should be checked for blowdowns after the snow melts in the spring. Appropriate action should then be scheduled.
- Phelix Creek access trail (also check rock slide on logging road for 4x4 HC access)
- Roe creek to Brew Hut (it´s a winter trail, but still suceptible to blowdown. This one can wait until the fall).
- Summer trail to Brew Lake / Brew Hut from Brandywine Falls - is this even being maintained anymore?
2009 one time projects
- Brew outhouse needs to be re-dug.
- Phelix trail will need at least one workhike, probably with a chainsaw, to clear near blowdown/growth and juggle markers.
- Ensure sufficient gear is available for Longhike – in recent years that involved buying ropes / a rope just before Longhike
- Fix/gather/organise ski gear in time for skiing season – repair bindings, pair up skins+skis.
- Check on MEC Fall Gearswap, organize VOC attack party
- Check on MEC Spring Gearswap, organize VOC attack party
- Gear repair night(s)
- Especially at the end of the second term, but also throughout the year – chase people down who keep gear for longer than they should
- Start prying for articles
- Start prying for advertisers
- Get quotes (will provide minimum timeframe for printing)
- Deadline for ad submission (well before actual deadline)
- Deadline for article submission (well before actual deadline)
- Start editing
- Finish digitizing the journals
- Convert them into text pdf files
- Put library catalogue into the new software on the club's computer (Alexandria)
- Buy a bar code reader
- Submit a copy of the journal to the UBC library and Vancouver library. Send TWO copies to the national archives in Ottawa.
- Set photo contest rules/date
- Judge photo contest
Jared Stanley Memorial Lecture
- Set date
- Book speaker and find movie
- Sort out details like advertisement ect.
Rad trips which should happen every year
- Intro to Ice
- Son of Rock
- Tele School
- Intro to Backcountry skiing
- Mountaineering Camp
- Intro to Ski Mountaineering
- Early season Brew "gear walk" (how to strap skis to your pack)
- Snowshoe Debacle