VOC Hut Registration
Sign in to the VOCWiki on the log in page. You may need to create an account, which can be done from the log in page. Include your email address in your account information. It will not be exposed to the public but it will allow people to contact you with the "email this user" feature. Edit this Wiki page using the edit tab. Or just edit the subsection you want to change using the edit buttons to the right of each heading. See help:contents for help with editing the wiki. Add a line to the appropriate hut section with your registration. Include the following information:
If your chosen date becomes too busy for your liking, you may move your registration to another date. Update your registration if any details about your group change. Remove your registration after your trip is complete.
If you know you will be at a VOC Hut at a given time please post here to let people know. It's the "right thing to do."
- Remember - it's a registration not a reservation.
You are registering to tell people that you are going, but also to receive information in case the hut gets too full for your liking. That's why you need to include your contact information. Feel free to register far in advance, but remember that other people may plan trips on a different timescale (especially VOC types, who are categorically disorganized students).
VOC members are very tolerant of cramped conditions in our huts. If you would prefer to avoid crowded situations, please register below so the VOC and other users can contact you to coordinate use. The rule for VOC huts is that there is always room for one more (this works both ways).
We suggest non-VOC members give VOC a donation of $10 per person per night; you could send it to us or put it in the blue lock box inside the hut. This money is exclusively for goods to maintain the huts and their trails. All of the hard labor is done by volunteers.
Brew Hut Registration
The Brew Hut sleeps 12 in relative comfort. In a pinch there is enough space for 16 to sleep in the loft and 3 more on the sleeping bench downstairs, with nobody on the wet floor, but it's very tight. The current record is 21 people/sardines.
There is a Coleman stove up there. It may not work. We do not supply fuel for it. If you are not familiar with Coleman stoves, don't use it. Bring your own cooking stove.
We now have solar lighting, which should provide ~8 hours of light, after charging with 20 hours of sunlight. Turn it on with the black button, and turn it off with the red button. It turns off every hour.
Please, for the love of goodness, use firewood sparingly. In summer 2014, VOC spent about $7k to fly in firewood, if we are careful it might last five years. This is not the place to make campfires. Unless the wind is howling, the snow is flying, and you are actually cold, don't light the wood-burning heater. If you're a strong party consider carrying up your own firewood.
As of 20 Feb, there is very little wood in the woodshed, almost none. Sorry guys, you used it all up. We'll try and provide more this summer. Meanwhile, it will be a bit chilly. The hut's insulated but that doesn't make it warm.
In early December 2015, the road at the R200 junction was damaged "inactivated", with a log across the road. This adds about 1.5 km to the trip in, but as this 1.5 km is on a logging road, it's probably not a big deal, and the road's not drivable once the snow comes. As our Brew Hut is our most accessible hut, we would like to maintain driving all the way to the trail head, if possible.
Date: group of X, contact information (please maintain chronological order!)
- Feb 20 Group of 5 people (a carload) , [email protected]
- Feb 21 - 23 Group of 5 people, Non VOC - [email protected]
- Feb 21 - 22 Group of four people, non VOC - [email protected]
- Feb 23-25 group of 10, non VOC - [email protected]
- Feb 26/27 Group of 6 people (only for night of 26th) - non VOC - [email protected]
- March 8-9 Group of 6 people - [email protected]
- March 11-13 Group of 10 people, Non VOC - Scott.g.mant at gmail dot com
- Mar 19-20 Group of 14+ people- jess(at)onlineventurechallenge(dot)com
- Apr 1-3 Group of 4 , non VOC - [email protected]
Brian Waddington (Phelix) Hut Registration
The Brian Waddington Hut can handle about 24 people in the loft upstairs.
We discourage people from going up there between August 15 and October 15 as the grizzly bears up there need a little privacy at this time.
- Feb 19 - 21 Jacob, group of apx 8 [email protected]
- Feb 21: group of 3-4, [email protected]
- Feb.18- Feb 20 Liam Group of 4- [email protected]
- Feb 21 - Feb 27 Group of 4. schuyberg [at] gmail (schuyler)
- Mar 03-Mar 5 Group of 3 non-VOCers
- Mar 11-12 Lea, Group of 3, sort of VOC;
- Mar 19-Mar 20 Group of 10-12 (half are VOCers) Arran: arranjcw (at) gmail
- Mar 21-Mar 25 Group of 8 (tbd) non-VOCers [email protected]
- Mar 25-Mar 27 Group of 4-5 non-VOCers. Email emmajhlodge (at) gmail (dot) com
- Apr 15-17 group of 8 stinky bros: ktilley (at) gmail (dot) com
- July 1-3 Group of 16+ Bachelor Party Beware [email protected]
Burton Hut (Garibaldi Lake, or Sphinx Hut) Registration
The Burton Hut sleeps 10 comfortably and 15 is cozy. Make sure Garibaldi lake is frozen before you try to cross it. Typically it is frozen by the start of February.
This hut does not have a donation box, but we still maintain it, and your donation is welcome. In addition, if you stay at Sphinx, or anywhere in Garibaldi park, you must pay BC Parks $10 per person per night, even if you are a VOC membership-paying person. This may be paid online, the link is on the BC Parks/ Garibaldi website or go to: https://secure.camis.com/DiscoverCamping/Backcountry/Garibaldi?Map The penalty for not paying is $144 per person.
Date: group of X, contact information
- Feb 26 - Feb 28 Group of 10 VOCers - [email protected]
- Feb 28 - March 2 Group Of 4 Non VOCers - [email protected]
- Mar 5 - 6 Group of 2 VOCers - [email protected]
- Mar 5 - 6 Group of 4 non VOCers - [email protected]
- Mar 11 - Mar 13 Group of 6 non VOCers [email protected]
- Mar 11-13 Group of 7 non VOC ffkash323(at)gmail.com
- Mar 18-20 8 people Matthew Hosford <matthew.dhosford at gmail.com>
- March 25-27 a big CROSSNA group of 15 Gloria: [email protected] in memory of our friend who died there: http://forums.clubtread.com/8-british-columbia-mainland/24718-rubble-creek-accident-gloria.html
Harrison Hut Registration
Notice for Summer 2015: As of September 21, 2015, there are multiple washouts trip report on the road, which makes it impassible. October 17 --> Road is repaired now, but still somewhat unstable.
Date: group of X, contact information
- 2015 Dec 28th to 2016 Jan 1st Party of 8 including grumpy old VOCers Matt and Charlie Breakey and Phil Tomlinson
Lizzie Creek Cabin Registration
The Lizzie Creek Cabin sleeps 8 comfortably and 10-12 is cozy. Getting to the hut is difficult but we are going to work on the trail in the spring. Note that the cabin was not built and is not currently maintained by VOC, but if you want to indicate that you will be using it, you are welcome to do so.
Date: group of X, contact information
- 2016 February 28th through March 6th Party of 5. Scott Jones [email protected]
Keith's (Cerise Cr) Hut Registration
Note that Keith's Hut is not built or maintained by VOC, but if you want to indicate that you will be using it, you are welcome to do so. Most users do not register, so don't be surprised to find the hut full to bursting with people who did not register here. The Hut has space for 15 people, but very often over 25 people sleep all over the place, dogs included.
Sentinal Bay Glaciology Hut Registration
The Sentinel Bay Glaciology Huts are not built or maintained by VOC, but if you want to indicate that you will be using it/them, you are welcome to do so.