VOC trips are organized by members like yourself, not professional guides. The trips go into wilderness areas where assistance is unavailable and unexpected events can occur. You could be seriously injured or die. You are responsible for your own actions. Please use caution.
Glacier School G2 · Sat. Sep. 17th - Sun. Sep. 18th
Warning: This is an old trip - it already happened
- Details Page: Where you can see brief trip details (publicly viewable).
- Wiki Page: For additional information/organization (publicly viewable).
- Message Board Thread: Discuss this trip with other members here.
- Signup Page: Where you can signup, bail, edit participation entries, see/email members on the trip, etc.
- Drivers Page: Where you can arrange rides, get pickup directions and email by car.
- Wikitext Page: From where you can cut and paste information formatted for the wiki.
- Printable List Page: Which generates a printable list of participants.
- Edit Page: Where the trip organizer can edit the entry for this trip.
- Mark Going Page: Where members of the exec and the trip organizer can sign members up as "actually going".
- Modify Signups: Where the trip organizer can change signup classes.
Start: Saturday, Sep. 17th
End: Sunday, Sep. 18th
Pre-trip meeting: Wednesday, Sep. 14th, 6:30 pm
Pre-trip meeting location: TBA
Glacier School is a 2-day (weekend) course intended to teach safe and efficient means of travelling over glaciers. The school is divided into two courses: G1 and G2
Glacier 2(G2) is for students with previous glacier experience that want to learn more advanced skills or to climb a peak.
G2 is much less formally organized than G1. Instructors, with the input of participants can choose the peak they want to climb. While there may be some practice, students will learn the most from asking questions and practicing the skills needed for safe glacier travel during their ascent.
For G2, the first 10 (subject to change by instructors of G2) that sign up as committed will have priority over those on the waiting list. The 11th to 15th person to sign up as "committed" will be on the waiting list.
"*New for 2011:
Glacier School is a large investment of time and dedication by the experienced members of the VOC. At the same time, during the school year, there is constant unmet demand for trips by club members, especially "easy" trips. As such, the VOC asks that participants of Glacier School "give back" to the club by organizing a minimum of one trip the upcoming year. VOC Execs are here to help you out along the way, and some of us may very well even join your trips in the end. The trip that you organize does not need to be "hardcore"- there is huge demand for day hikes and scrambles throughout the year. A day trip up Hollyburn, the 3 peaks of the Chief, a bike trip on Bowen Island, anything goes. Contact the Trips Coordinator Chris Yuen with help with this."