VOC trips are organized by members like yourself, not professional guides. The trips go into wilderness areas where assistance is unavailable and unexpected events can occur. You could be seriously injured or die. You are responsible for your own actions. Please use caution.
Beginner Friendly Brian Waddington/*Brew* Hut Ski Trip · Sat. Nov. 28th - Sun. Nov. 29th
Warning: This is an old trip - it already happened
- Details Page: Where you can see brief trip details (publicly viewable).
- This trip does not have an associated Wiki Page.
- Message Board Thread: Discuss this trip with other members here.
- Signup Page: Where you can signup, bail, edit participation entries, see/email members on the trip, etc.
- Drivers Page: Where you can arrange rides, get pickup directions and email by car.
- Wikitext Page: From where you can cut and paste information formatted for the wiki.
- Printable List Page: Which generates a printable list of participants.
- Edit Page: Where the trip organizer can edit the entry for this trip.
- Mark Going Page: Where the trip organizer can sign members up as "actually going".
- Modify Signups: Where the trip organizer can change signup classes.
Start: Saturday, Nov. 28th, 5:00 am
End: Sunday, Nov. 29th
Pre-trip meeting: Wednesday, Nov. 25th, 6:00 pm
Pre-trip meeting location: BUCH D217
UPDATE: Due to overwhelling demand, this trip will be split in two and half the group will go to the VOC's Brew Hut. To go to either the Brew or Brian Waddington, sign up for this trip and attend the pretrip meeting. We will split up the groups then.
The VOC's Brian Waddington Hut is a magical place, one of my favourites in these mountains. The plan is to visit the hut over the weekend, on skis if possible, and everyone is welcome.
Here's the gear list, and you'll need to bring all of the personal items on it (except the tents, obviously). This is a fantastic resource for figuring out what/how to pack. Helmets are highly recommended for skiing through the trees. You can rent skiing/avalache gear for free from the club as long as you give back with your time.
The trip will run whether there is snow or not. Or whether it rains or not, within reason.
Is this trip for you? As with most trips in the VOC, "beginner friendly" doesn't necessarily mean "easy", but rather that people will be friendly to beginners. No experience is required to come, but some experience is probably required if you don't want to suffer. Suffering is usually fun in retrospect though, so it's up to you. We'll travel about 9km and gain 1010m of elevation to reach the hut. As a comparison, the Grouse Grind gains 850m over 2.9km. The switchbacks before the hut are quite steep, and other trips, such as those to the VOC's Brew Hut, will have easier skiing. But you can always walk down if have to.