VOC trips are organized by members like yourself, not professional guides. The trips go into wilderness areas where assistance is unavailable and unexpected events can occur. You could be seriously injured or die. You are responsible for your own actions. Please use caution.
Seeking Snow at Taylor Meadows (ski trip!) · Sat. Nov. 21st - Sun. Nov. 22nd
Warning: This is an old trip - it already happened
- Details Page: Where you can see brief trip details (publicly viewable).
- This trip does not have an associated Wiki Page.
- Message Board Thread: Discuss this trip with other members here.
- Signup Page: Where you can signup, bail, edit participation entries, see/email members on the trip, etc.
- Drivers Page: Where you can arrange rides, get pickup directions and email by car.
- Wikitext Page: From where you can cut and paste information formatted for the wiki.
- Printable List Page: Which generates a printable list of participants.
- Edit Page: Where the trip organizer can edit the entry for this trip.
- Mark Going Page: Where the trip organizer can sign members up as "actually going".
- Modify Signups: Where the trip organizer can change signup classes.
Start: Saturday, Nov. 21st, 6:00 am
End: Sunday, Nov. 22nd, 9:00 pm
Pre-trip meeting: Wednesday, Nov. 18th, 5:30 pm
Pre-trip meeting location: Outside VOC Clubroom
It's been dumping snow in the mountains and it's high time to go and ski it!
Saturday morning we will hike up to Taylor meadows with skis and tents in/on our packs and set up camp. That should leave some time for exploring skiing options on the snowy slopes above Taylor Meadows in the afternoon.
Sunday, depending on the group's ability and on conditions, we will head up above Taylor Meadows and ski off the shoulder of Black Tusk, or Panorama Ridge before heading down to the cars.
Anyone is welcome to join. However, expect to hike about 800-900 m of elevation gain before we find enough snow to put on our skis. The total distance is 7.5km to Taylor Meadows with 1050 m of elevation gain. If this is your first such trip, expect a workout! Experience backcountry skiing and winter camping are assets – expect winter conditions up there!
I am hoping at least a couple of other experienced backcountry skiiers with avalanche training/experience can join so that we can help less experienced folks along. The trip is capped at 2 car loads. If we get a good number of experience folks coming along, I'll consider opening it to more people.
The pre-trip meeting will be at 5:30 PM outside of the clubroom on Wednesday (the 18th). Later, at 7PM, there is the Jared Stanley Memorial Lecture which I will go to, and I encourage you to attend as well, so we’ll have about an hour to sort out trip logistics.