VOC trips are organized by members like yourself, not professional guides. The trips go into wilderness areas where assistance is unavailable and unexpected events can occur. You could be seriously injured or die. You are responsible for your own actions. Please use caution.
Winter Longhike 2016 (Snow Caves) · Sat. Jan. 23rd - Sun. Jan. 24th
Warning: This is an old trip - it already happened
- Details Page: Where you can see brief trip details (publicly viewable).
- Wiki Page: For additional information/organization (publicly viewable).
- Message Board Thread: Discuss this trip with other members here.
- Signup Page: Where you can signup, bail, edit participation entries, see/email members on the trip, etc.
- Drivers Page: Where you can arrange rides, get pickup directions and email by car.
- Wikitext Page: From where you can cut and paste information formatted for the wiki.
- Printable List Page: Which generates a printable list of participants.
- Edit Page: Where the trip organizer can edit the entry for this trip.
- Mark Going Page: Where members of the exec and the trip organizer can sign members up as "actually going".
- Modify Signups: Where the trip organizer can change signup classes.
Start: Saturday, Jan. 23rd
End: Sunday, Jan. 24th
Pre-trip meeting: Wednesday, Jan. 13th, 7:00 pm
Pre-trip meeting location: ESB 2012 MAP
**UPDATE: REGISTRATION FOR WINTER LONGHIKE 2016 IS CLOSED. ATTENDANCE AT THE PRE-TRIP MEETING WAS REQUIRED FOR TRIP ATTENDANCE. ONLY EXCEPTIONS ARE MADE FOR THOSE WILLING TO INSTRUCT.**
ALSO, THOSE THAT ARE MARKED AS 'GOING' FOR THIS TRIP, PLEASE CHECK YOUR EMAIL REGULARLY!!! IMPORTANT UPDATES ARE MADE THROUGH EMAIL, AND IN ORDER TO ATTEND THE TRIP YOU MUST STAY UP TO DATE ON THESE UPDATES!!
Winter Longhike is coming up!
This is an introductory trip for winter camping. We'll be a large group of keen people that want to experience a totally new face of the white backcountry.
We'll be having great fun and learning new skills such as building our very own snow shelter (or if you're ambitious enough, a snow castle). There will be a prize for the most elaborate snow-cave :D
Other activities likely to happen include (but are not limited to):
- Backcountry food cook-off
- Great skiing on Sunday
This is a beginner friendly trip and if you've never seen snow you're more than welcome to join. This is trip is also, ski-, snowboard-, and snowshoe-friendly.
Although beginner friendly and relatively easy, do not under estimate Winter Longhike - it is still a trip to a backcountry location where your survival depends on your actions and equipment. Due to the massive size of the group you will not be micro-managed - you are responsible for your own safety and actions; this especially includes asking for help. If you have some common sense and can follow simple instructions, this should not be a problem. There will be plenty of experienced people around that will be happy to help you if you ask them, but there won't be assigned instructors.
You should form smaller sub groups (easiest is with the rest of the people in your car) and look out for each other; this will be sorted out at the pre-trip meeting so have no fear.