Members can insert new events into the calendar
and signup for trips, but please read the instructions
VOC trips are organized by members like yourself, not professional guides. The trips go into wilderness areas where assistance is unavailable and unexpected events can occur. You could be seriously injured or die. You are responsible for your own actions. Please use caution.
A Womyn's Ski Traverse · Sat. Apr. 9th - Sun. Apr. 10th
Warning: This is an old trip - it already happened
- Details Page: Where you can see brief trip details (publicly viewable).
- This trip does not have an associated Wiki Page.
- This trip does not have an associated Message Board Thread.
- Signup Page: Where you can signup, bail, edit participation entries, see/email members on the trip, etc.
- Drivers Page: Where you can arrange rides, get pickup directions and email by car.
- Wikitext Page: From where you can cut and paste information formatted for the wiki.
- Printable List Page: Which generates a printable list of participants.
- Edit Page: Where the trip organizer can edit the entry for this trip.
- Mark Going Page: Where the trip organizer can sign members up as "actually going".
- Modify Signups: Where the trip organizer can change signup classes.
Organized by: Line Lund Veenstra
Start: Saturday, Apr. 9th, 5:00 am
End: Sunday, Apr. 10th
Pre-trip meeting: Tuesday, Apr. 5th, 7:30 pm
Pre-trip meeting location: clubroomDescription:
As per tradition (if it happened once before I can call it tradition, right?) I would like lead a womyn's ski traverse.
This is a spring ski traverse minus the boys. It seems that oftentimes outdoor trips end up with pretty skewed gender ratios. I would love to spend one weekend in the company of fellow rad mountain womyn and go on a sweet traverse. Maybe you would too?
As of now I have settled on the Blackcomb-curry traverse. I might change my mind if the group is more intermediate than advanced.
The trip starts from the top of the blackcomb lift. So you should be willing to buy a backcountry lift ticket ($40??). After a short skin up to the Spearhead-Blackcomb col we will make a long descent towards Wedge pass. From here we ascent towards the col just east of Lesser Wedge. Then we will ski down the Weart glacier and start to accent towards Mt. Moe. We will probably make camp just before or after Mt. Moe. Then we will ski across the top of the Mystery Creek, and around Hibachi ridge. We will traverse around to the East side of Mt. Currie where we will hopefully connect with the new Mt. Currie trail. The trip involves ~30km and ~2000 m of elevation (rough estimate). This trip is only possible in good weather and stable avalanche conditions.
This is an advanced/intermediate friendly trip. If you're not sure, the following list suggests useful things to have knowledge with, though perhaps not uber-necessary if you're tough and there are enough experienced folks on the trip:
- Having gone overnight backcountry skiing before, just so you know what to expect and can ski with an overnight pack.
- Some skiing ability. You don't need to ski uber well, but need strong survival skiing skills.
- Glacier/Avalanche awareness/open eyes/ears
- If you are not sure if you are right for the trip, feel free to ask on the message board or email me.
There will be a pre-trip meeting on Tuesday April 5th. 7:30pm in the club room. Looking forward to meeting and getting to know you.
Posted: 2016-03-26 22:01:54
Last modified: 2016-03-29 12:57:00