VOC trips are organized by members like yourself, not professional guides. The trips go into wilderness areas where assistance is unavailable and unexpected events can occur. You could be seriously injured or die. You are responsible for your own actions. Please use caution.
Summer Stokefest 1: Beginner-Friendly Hike/Climb/Camp · Sat. May. 14th - Sun. May. 15th
Warning: This is an old trip - it already happened
- Details Page: Where you can see brief trip details (publicly viewable).
- This trip does not have an associated Wiki Page.
- Message Board Thread: Discuss this trip with other members here.
- Signup Page: Where you can signup, bail, edit participation entries, see/email members on the trip, etc.
- Drivers Page: Where you can arrange rides, get pickup directions and email by car.
- Wikitext Page: From where you can cut and paste information formatted for the wiki.
- Printable List Page: Which generates a printable list of participants.
- Edit Page: Where the trip organizer can edit the entry for this trip.
- Mark Going Page: Where the trip organizer can sign members up as "actually going".
- Modify Signups: Where the trip organizer can change signup classes.
Start: Saturday, May. 14th, 9:30 am
End: Sunday, May. 15th, 6:00 pm
Pre-trip meeting: Wednesday, May. 11th, 6:00 pm
Pre-trip meeting location: Clubroom (until further notice)
Stoked on summer and the awesome outdoor activities that it brings? ME TOO!
Let's get started, shall we?
Purpose of this trip: Super beginner friendly hiking & climbing with overnight car-camping.
Leave Vancouver Saturday morning to be at MURRIN PARK Parking lot by 9:30am. If some cars prefer to camp Friday night and meet us at Murrin Sat. morning, that's cool too - just let me know. After a headcount, we will be leaving the parking lot no later than 10am to hit the Petgill Lake Trailhead, just North of the parking lot.
This hike should take us ~5 hours, but if we are a bit slower (totally fine) or take a long lunch at the top (summit sunning & munching) then we can extend it to 6 or 7hrs. This should put as at the parking lot again no later than 5pm. *The earlier we leave, the more time we have to set up camp in the light.
We'll camp that night up the Squamish Valley Rd. just near Riverside Camping (if ppl haven't been here before - we'll meet in Squamish, then convoy on down together). NB: We may be crossing a stream to get there, so pack your camping gear up nice so nothing falls in the river.
Sunday: Preferably climbing if there's stoke - Murrin Park or Smoke bluffs is fine by me. I'm totally willing to teach if folks are willing to learn! It'll pretty much be hanging out in the crags for the day, finished off with a swim at Murrin Park or Alice Lake.
If ppl are not stoked on climbing, or we get bad weather, we'll go for a trail run around Alice Lake (6km) or do another beginner friendly hike instead (I'm open to suggestions).
Things to make this trip happen:
1. Cars - I no longer have one. :'(
2. At least one other experienced climber (completed Rock 3 or confident in equivalent skills to help me watch belayers/teach)
3. Stoke! It's fine if you haven't climbed before or done much hiking around. I want this trip to be fun for everyone.
4. A guitar/ukelele for the evening?
*The number of ppl I can take on this trip depends on 1. and 2. above.*
To be determined at the pre-trip meeting: Rides, food, car-camping pre-reqs and tent spots.
Feel free to email me or use the msg board should you have any questions!
More info on where we're going:
- Alice Lake info here