VOC trips are organized by members like yourself, not professional guides. The trips go into wilderness areas where assistance is unavailable and unexpected events can occur. You could be seriously injured or die. You are responsible for your own actions. Please use caution.
How many VOCers does it take to replace a helicopter · Sat. Jun. 25th - Sun. Jun. 26th
Warning: This is an old trip - it already happened
- Details Page: Where you can see brief trip details (publicly viewable).
- This trip does not have an associated Wiki Page.
- Message Board Thread: Discuss this trip with other members here.
- Signup Page: Where you can signup, bail, edit participation entries, see/email members on the trip, etc.
- Drivers Page: Where you can arrange rides, get pickup directions and email by car.
- Wikitext Page: From where you can cut and paste information formatted for the wiki.
- Printable List Page: Which generates a printable list of participants.
- Edit Page: Where the trip organizer can edit the entry for this trip.
- Mark Going Page: Where the trip organizer can sign members up as "actually going".
- Modify Signups: Where the trip organizer can change signup classes.
Start: Saturday, Jun. 25th, 6:00 am
End: Sunday, Jun. 26th, 9:00 pm
Pre-trip meeting: Wednesday, Jun. 22nd, 7:00 pm
Pre-trip meeting location: Clubroom
Brew is a beautiful hut in a beautiful location. One of its many perks is its very effective wood burning stove. For years we got away with burning the remnants of less successful huts (the current Brew is Brew number three...). This was a highly successful way of cleaning up past errors and so two years ago a new source of wood was sought. In the end we flew wood up to the hut by helicopter. This is VERY expensive (I think somewhere in the region of $7,000). Now our wood stores are running low again and a solution needs finding before winter returns.
Now the VOC has a long tradition of attempting the ridiculous. This trip IS ridiculous. I also think it might just work. I want to recruit a small army of VOCers to help carry wood from the summer trail head (much much closer than the winter trail head) to the hut. If, over the course of the weekend we can carry half a tonne of wood then we will have proven that we don't need to pay the big bucks for a helicopter. This has not been attempted before and success will almost certainly result in legendary status being achieved for all involved. My hope is that the meadows will still be covered in enough snow that the wood can be carried along the second half of its journey by sled.
This trip definitely counts as a work hike. If you want it can even count as two. If you have ever worried that previous work hikes didn't involve enough work then this trip is for you. If you've heard stories of epic stupidity achieving greatness and wished you could be a part of it then this trip is for you. If you want to help out but are worried you can't carry so very much this trip is still for you. Every little helps and likely there are other tasks needing taken care of too like loading sleds and herding cats. If you ever wanted to make history then this trip is for you!