VOC trips are organized by members like yourself, not professional guides. The trips go into wilderness areas where assistance is unavailable and unexpected events can occur. You could be seriously injured or die. You are responsible for your own actions. Please use caution.
To somewhere with snow, for August turns · Saturday, August 6th
Warning: This is an old trip - it already happened
Warning: This is a tentative trip : weather to be determined
- Details Page: Where you can see brief trip details (publicly viewable).
- This trip does not have an associated Wiki Page.
- Message Board Thread: Discuss this trip with other members here.
- Signup Page: Where you can signup, bail, edit participation entries, see/email members on the trip, etc.
- Drivers Page: Where you can arrange rides, get pickup directions and email by car.
- Wikitext Page: From where you can cut and paste information formatted for the wiki.
- Printable List Page: Which generates a printable list of participants.
- Edit Page: Where the trip organizer can edit the entry for this trip.
- Mark Going Page: Where the trip organizer can sign members up as "actually going".
- Modify Signups: Where the trip organizer can change signup classes.
Start: Saturday, Aug. 6th, 4:30 am
Pre-trip meeting: Wednesday, Aug. 3rd
Pre-trip meeting location: email faff unless there is mass demand for a pretrip
I don't know if people still do this except some diehards like me but at one point it used to be popular to ski all 12 months of the year. We still have tshirts about it with a person stuck in a tree with skis on - which is what skiing 12 months of the year looks like, at least while there's snow below treeline. There's a few 'rules' on what you can call skiing, mostly being that
1) it must be on snow
2) you must link 7 consecutive turns on the snow mentioned in 1)
2.5) you lose your glory if you skip a month
Location is to be decided based on what the weather is doing, where there's fires and who's going and such; it'll be something north. It'll be early August and hopefully not requiring crazy amounts of hiking but getting to somewhere between 1900-2300m will very likely be necessary. Exceptional skills in walking skis is essential, as is the ability to do 2). We might be skiing anything from rotten seasonal snow in steepish gullies to glaciers. We may or may not summit something.
This is posted in advance to foster ski stoke, encouragement for July turns and detract from thoughts of climbing.