VOC trips are organized by members like yourself, not professional guides. The trips go into wilderness areas where assistance is unavailable and unexpected events can occur. You could be seriously injured or die. You are responsible for your own actions. Please use caution.
Beginner Friendly Backcountry Skiing · Saturday, November 19th
Warning: This is an old trip - it already happened
- Details Page: Where you can see brief trip details (publicly viewable).
- This trip does not have an associated Wiki Page.
- Message Board Thread: Discuss this trip with other members here.
- Signup Page: Where you can signup, bail, edit participation entries, see/email members on the trip, etc.
- Drivers Page: Where you can arrange rides, get pickup directions and email by car.
- Wikitext Page: From where you can cut and paste information formatted for the wiki.
- Printable List Page: Which generates a printable list of participants.
- Edit Page: Where the trip organizer can edit the entry for this trip.
- Mark Going Page: Where the trip organizer can sign members up as "actually going".
- Modify Signups: Where the trip organizer can change signup classes.
Start: Saturday, Nov. 19th, 7:00 am
Pre-trip meeting: Thursday, Nov. 17th, 5:00 pm
Pre-trip meeting location: Clubroom
Do you want to try backcountry skiing?
We will go for the day up to Red Heather in Garibaldi Park or maybe Mount Seymour (depending on how many cars are available and what snow conditions are like). This will be an entirely beginner friendly trip so you do not need to have any experience with skis (except for a desire to learn and a willingness to suffer a bit).
The purpose of the trip will be to learn the basics of backcountry skiing (putting on skins, skiing up hill, using edges, skiing (falling) downhill, etc.). Hopefully we will be a small group (max 5) and we can help each other learn. If there are a lot of beginners interested then other experienced skiers would be welcome to help out.
This is a tentative trip because there has to be enough snow for us to ski. I may move the date to later in the season if there is not enough snow at lower elevations in November.
EDIT: There seems to be a lot of interest in this trip. Probably it will split into two trips, with the better skiers heading to the Coquihalla. Hopefully there will still be enough people who know how, to help the beginners. The other bit of reality that will enter the scene is, VOC has only so many pairs of skis, boots, etc, which might limit things somewhat. (Some own their own, of course) And we need cars, probably with chains if going to Red Heather. Don't need chains for Coquihalla, probably.
If you can provide rides or help with instruction, this is good.