Members can insert new events into the calendar
and signup for trips, but please read the instructions
VOC trips are organized by members like yourself, not professional guides. The trips go into wilderness areas where assistance is unavailable and unexpected events can occur. You could be seriously injured or die. You are responsible for your own actions. Please use caution.
12th Annual Jared Stanley Memorial Lecture · Wednesday, December 7th
Warning: This is an old trip - it already happened
- Details Page: Where you can see brief trip details (publicly viewable).
- This trip does not have an associated Wiki Page.
- Message Board Thread: Discuss this trip with other members here.
- Signup Page: Where you can signup, bail, edit participation entries, see/email members on the trip, etc.
- Wikitext Page: From where you can cut and paste information formatted for the wiki.
- Printable List Page: Which generates a printable list of participants.
- Edit Page: Where the trip organizer can edit the entry for this trip.
- Mark Going Page: Where the trip organizer can sign members up as "actually going".
- Modify Signups: Where the trip organizer can change signup classes.
Organized by: Zack Wentz
Start: Wednesday, Dec. 7th, 7:00 pm
End: Wednesday, Dec. 7th, 9:00 pm
Pre-trip meeting location: ESB 2012Description:
In January 2005, Jared Stanley, a UBC student, passed away while back country skiing on Mount Seymour. An annual memorial lecture was held for the first couple of years after Jared's death, but as many of Jared's friends and colleagues left UBC, running the event became more difficult. The VOC decided to adopt the lecture series and every year since, the VOC has hosted the Jared Stanley Memorial Lecture: this year's will be the 12th installment. While Jared wasn't a VOCer, he's the sort of guy that probably would have ended up knocking on the VOC's door at some point, so we sort of adopted him and the lecture.
Jared's family, Anna and Bob Parton, fly out from Texas every year to attend the lecture and speak a little bit about Jared. The Parton's are great speakers and great people. In previous years, after learning about SPOT devices from our guest speaker, a Search and Rescue team member, they promptly went out and bought the club a three pack of the devices because they felt that if such a device had existed back in 2005, then maybe Jared would still be with us. Much like the VOC sort of adopted Jared, the Partons sort of adopted the VOC.
The Parton's memories of Jared will be followed by a talk given by Alec Ritchie, a member of the North Shore Search and Rescue Group. For further background on the North Shore SAR group, please visit this link: http://www.northshorerescue.com/.
This is an interesting, emotional, and insightful event for members of all experience levels; we encourage everyone to come out and bring your friends! The more the merrier!
This event is open to the public, not just club members.
Date and time: Wednesday, Dec. 7th, 7:00 pm
Location: ESB (Earth and Ocean Sciences) Room 2012
Posted: 2016-11-09 17:31:40
Last modified: 2016-11-28 23:55:18