VOC trips are organized by members like yourself, not professional guides. The trips go into wilderness areas where assistance is unavailable and unexpected events can occur. You could be seriously injured or die. You are responsible for your own actions. Please use caution.
Skiing Rogers Pass (Intermediate-Advanced) · Tue. Feb. 21st - Sun. Feb. 26th
Warning: This is an old trip - it already happened
- Details Page: Where you can see brief trip details (publicly viewable).
- This trip does not have an associated Wiki Page.
- Message Board Thread: Discuss this trip with other members here.
- Signup Page: Where you can signup, bail, edit participation entries, see/email members on the trip, etc.
- Drivers Page: Where you can arrange rides, get pickup directions and email by car.
- Wikitext Page: From where you can cut and paste information formatted for the wiki.
- Printable List Page: Which generates a printable list of participants.
- Edit Page: Where the trip organizer can edit the entry for this trip.
- Mark Going Page: Where the trip organizer can sign members up as "actually going".
- Modify Signups: Where the trip organizer can change signup classes.
Start: Tuesday, Feb. 21st
End: Sunday, Feb. 26th
Pre-trip meeting: Wednesday, Feb. 15th, 5:00 pm
Pre-trip meeting location: Clubroom
Formerly the 'Skiing the Tantalus Range' trip. We had to change plans due to heavy rain and snow this week creating some unfavourable conditions. Surprise surprise...
The new plan is Rogers Pass! A pretty damn good alternative I think. We are still hoping to run this as a series of big day trips, heading back to a base camp every night.
[Old trip description below]
This trip involves skiing with a heavy pack and navigating some complex terrain. AST-1 and multiday (2+) backpacking experience manditory.
There's always been something mystic about the Tantalus range, as seen from the sea-to-sky, always seeming 'so close, but so far'. Well, we have a week, so lets go do a serious trip that makes the river crossing and haul up into the mountains worth while.
The aim of this trip is to ski some big lines in some big mountains. The exact details are flexible depending on what the group decides, but tentatively the plan is to set up a base camp at/or near to Lake Lovelywater for 5 or 6 days. But we are also exploring options approaching from above (Sigurd Creek). From our camp we can do a series of day trips with nice light packs, get to some high places, do some serious skiing, and hopefully bag some peaks (weather/conditions depending). We can split into smaller groups in the day if we'd like, if we have objectives of different technicality in mind.
I find the prospect of a nice warm/dry hut quite enticing, so would personally like to stay at the hut (at $15 a night :/), but again, if as a group we decide we'd like to save the beer money and camp, so be it! LLW Hut is closed for the winter, but I will try to harrass the ACC, most likely we will be camping though, and creating a snow cave city.
The exact dates are also flexible between the 18th and 26th. We will chose them depending on condition. There is a pretty good chance we will have some weather days, cooped up in the tent/hut, perfecting our igloo making skills, drinking... So it would be nice to maximise our time out there.
Email me if you have any questions! If you arent sure about your skill level, this might not be the best trip for you, the Tantalus Range is very far from...well, everything. So it's not somewhere to be outside of your skill level.