VOC trips are organized by members like yourself, not professional guides. The trips go into wilderness areas where assistance is unavailable and unexpected events can occur. You could be seriously injured or die. You are responsible for your own actions. Please use caution.
[workhike] Harrison Hut Door & Floor Replacement · Thu. Sep. 21st - Mon. Sep. 25th
Warning: This is an old trip - it already happened
- Details Page: Where you can see brief trip details (publicly viewable).
- This trip does not have an associated Wiki Page.
- Message Board Thread: Discuss this trip with other members here.
- Signup Page: Where you can signup, bail, edit participation entries, see/email members on the trip, etc.
- Drivers Page: Where you can arrange rides, get pickup directions and email by car.
- Wikitext Page: From where you can cut and paste information formatted for the wiki.
- Printable List Page: Which generates a printable list of participants.
- Edit Page: Where the trip organizer can edit the entry for this trip.
- Mark Going Page: Where the trip organizer can sign members up as "actually going".
- Modify Signups: Where the trip organizer can change signup classes.
Start: Thursday, Sep. 21st, 4:00 pm
End: Monday, Sep. 25th
Pre-trip meeting: Monday, Sep. 18th, 5:00 pm
Pre-trip meeting location: Clubroom
Back in September of 2015, a trip up to Harrison Hut revealed that marmots had been eating a staggering amount of plywood with the floor of the hut having decreased from ¾” to ¼” at it’s worst. To solve this, the goal is to install a new layer of ¾” painted or stained plywood overtop of the old floor. In addition to the flooring, Harrison Hut also requires a steel door.
- Project Breakdown (MEC Access and Activity Grant Application)
- MEC Access and Activity Grant Agreement.
- Harrison Hut Steel Door RBS Quote 2017
- Harrison Hut Management Plan
- Harrison Hut Dimensions
- Solar Lighting Details
- my VOC wiki page
- Install new layer of plywood flooring. ($MEC)
- Install new steel door and new door frame. ($MEC)
- Install recognizition plaque board.
- Complete a site survey and establish a survey monument
- Clear about 25 fallen trees from trail, and cut firewood. Chainsaw will be flown into hut the week prior. ($VOC)
- Complete a Hut Inventory and arrange, organize and record new garbage that will need to be flown out on the next project.
- 2007 lbs of steel bridge
- 46 lbs of bridge fastners
- 347 lbs maximum for galvanizing and helicopter rigging
- 410 lbs of 3/4 inch plywood. 6 sheets of dimensions 4 ft by 8 ft.
- 140 lbs Styrofoam insulated Steel Door + Door Framing.
- 10 lbs Plaque board and engraved taf
- 50 lbs of Tools, Nails, other Hardware.
- 30 lbs Light Grey Paint and Painting equipment for the Floor, Paint for the Steel Door.
- Transportation of Volunteers.
- 50 lbs Chainsaw + Gas + Oil + Maintenance.
- 10 lbs Food + Propane
- Buy/Order all materials including new recognition plaque.
- Paint/Stain plywood flooring and door DONE
- Charter the helicopter DONE
- Develop construction plan.
Summary of Work Schedule during Workhike
- Volunteer Team to hike in to the Hut.
- Chainsaw logs blocking trail.
- Build new trail to get to the new bridge installed the week prior.
- Removal of any obstructing Cabinetry, Tables, Benches, Stove.
- Removal of Old Door and Frame.
- Install Plywood cross layered over original plywood using nails and glue
- Install new door frame and door.
- Reinstall cabinetry, tables, benches, stove
- Complete Hut Inventory
- Volunteer Team hike out.