VOC trips are organized by members like yourself, not professional guides. The trips go into wilderness areas where assistance is unavailable and unexpected events can occur. You could be seriously injured or die. You are responsible for your own actions. Please use caution.
Mount Strachan Loop - Lunch Potluck [Beginner Friendly] · Sunday, August 13th
Warning: This is an old trip - it already happened
- Details Page: Where you can see brief trip details (publicly viewable).
- Wiki Page: For additional information/organization (publicly viewable).
- This trip does not have an associated Message Board Thread.
- External Link: For extra information not hosted on the VOC site.
- Signup Page: Where you can signup, bail, edit participation entries, see/email members on the trip, etc.
- Drivers Page: Where you can arrange rides, get pickup directions and email by car.
- Wikitext Page: From where you can cut and paste information formatted for the wiki.
- Printable List Page: Which generates a printable list of participants.
- Edit Page: Where the trip organizer can edit the entry for this trip.
- Mark Going Page: Where the trip organizer can sign members up as "actually going".
- Modify Signups: Where the trip organizer can change signup classes.
Start: Sunday, Aug. 13th, 7:00 am
End: Sunday, Aug. 13th, 8:00 pm
Pre-trip meeting: Wednesday, Aug. 9th, 7:00 am
Pre-trip meeting location: Clubroom
Mount Strachan is located on the North Shore Mountains and accessed from Cypress Mountain Resort. The trip objectives are to do Mount Strachan as a loop trip. The loop will include: 5k on the Baden Powell Trail, Strachan Trail, Summit Mount Strachan South Peak, Summit Mount Strachan North Peak (if we have time), passing through Strachan Meadows, getting a small taste of the Howe Sound Crest Trail in 2 km, and finally down to the parking lot on the Yew Trail. Please see the trip map on the Vancouver Hiatus link here.
This is a beginner friendly trip for those that want to explore the North Shore area more. This is a great trip because it has a little taste of many things that are offered at the North Shore mountains. Beginner friendly means that we will be sticking together as a group and going at a reasonably moderate pace (average pace). However, expect a long day of hiking because the roundtrip will be approximately 15-16 km. I would like to summit both peaks, but it will be totally dependant on our group and our group pace.
The pretrip meeting will be at the campus clubroom at 7:00 pm the wednesday before the trip. We will go over the trip, what to bring, and sort out logistics like car rides or taking the bus. The trip gear list is here.