Members can insert new events into the calendar
and signup for trips, but please read the instructions
VOC trips are organized by members like yourself, not professional guides. The trips go into wilderness areas where assistance is unavailable and unexpected events can occur. You could be seriously injured or die. You are responsible for your own actions. Please use caution.
Alcoholic Traverse · Fri. Jul. 21st - Sun. Jul. 23rd
Warning: This is an old trip - it already happened
Warning, this trip has been cancelled : Weather forecast deteriorated - check alternative plans in Coquihalla
- Details Page: Where you can see brief trip details (publicly viewable).
- This trip does not have an associated Wiki Page.
- Message Board Thread: Discuss this trip with other members here.
- Signup Page: Where you can signup, bail, edit participation entries, see/email members on the trip, etc.
- Drivers Page: Where you can arrange rides, get pickup directions and email by car.
- Wikitext Page: From where you can cut and paste information formatted for the wiki.
- Printable List Page: Which generates a printable list of participants.
- Edit Page: Where the trip organizer can edit the entry for this trip.
- Mark Going Page: Where members of the exec and the trip organizer can sign members up as "actually going".
- Modify Signups: Where the trip organizer can change signup classes.
Organized by: Alberto Contreras Sanz
Start: Friday, Jul. 21st, 6:00 pm
End: Sunday, Jul. 23rd, 11:00 pm
Pre-trip meeting: Tuesday, Jul. 18th, 6:00 pm
Pre-trip meeting location: Clubroom or outside Description:
The Alcoholic was one of my highlights in 2016 and I wanted to do it again, in reverse. Please see below details extracted and revised from last years edition led by Roland and Carla.
The snowpack this year is significantly bigger than last year, and we are debating whether is melted enough to do the Alcoholic Traverse. We'll send special agent Birgit the weekend before to assess the situation and get some beta. This is totally beginner friendly, and no special equipment or training is needed - however emphasis will be put on making everyone's packs as light as possible to maximize fun. You can probably rent some missing gear from the clubroom, or we can find spares somewhere.
This is in the tradition of legendary VOC traverses, this time from Brew to Brandywine, hence the name. Alcohol need not be consumed. Our plan is to drive up Friday after work, place the getaway car at the end of the Brandywine road, then drive (4WD) to Brew hut trailhead near and make our way to the hut to spend the Friday night there. If not everyone can depart on Friday, an early Saturday departure can be arranged if we don't need to do car shuttle faff. Saturday we leave Brew, and aim for Keg Peak, pass through some interesting terrain and tent/bivvy just north of Mt Fee or a bit beyond. Sunday we go around Mt Fee (some benign snow slopes), thread our way along a bunch of pretty ridges and if time allows, climb Brandywine. Total distance should be around 20 km.
This trip requires spectacularly good weather because it's spectacularly good country, and there's no trails. If the weather's not OK, we may need to reconsider our options, and the trip will be pushed back to August (when there will surely be less snow)
Photos from last year here
Posted: 2017-07-05 17:39:32
Last modified: 2017-07-20 15:36:02