VOC trips are organized by members like yourself, not professional guides. The trips go into wilderness areas where assistance is unavailable and unexpected events can occur. You could be seriously injured or die. You are responsible for your own actions. Please use caution.
[workhike] How many VOCers to replace a helicopter. Take 2. · Sat. Aug. 12th - Sun. Aug. 13th
Warning: This is an old trip - it already happened
- Details Page: Where you can see brief trip details (publicly viewable).
- This trip does not have an associated Wiki Page.
- Message Board Thread: Discuss this trip with other members here.
- Signup Page: Where you can signup, bail, edit participation entries, see/email members on the trip, etc.
- Drivers Page: Where you can arrange rides, get pickup directions and email by car.
- Wikitext Page: From where you can cut and paste information formatted for the wiki.
- Printable List Page: Which generates a printable list of participants.
- Edit Page: Where the trip organizer can edit the entry for this trip.
- Mark Going Page: Where the trip organizer can sign members up as "actually going".
- Modify Signups: Where the trip organizer can change signup classes.
Start: Saturday, Aug. 12th
End: Sunday, Aug. 13th
Pre-trip meeting: Thursday, Aug. 10th, 6:45 pm
Pre-trip meeting location: clubroom
You can also join for Saturday only if you can't do both days!
Roland Burton took this photo of Gabe hauling firewood to Brew Hut last year!
This pretty much sums up what we'll be doing that weekend. This is a little extreme – most people will carry one or two rounds.
The idea is to spend the weekend hauling firewood from slash piles near the trailhead to Brew Hut. We'll also cut some firewood from fallen trees higher up and we'll have to haul up some wood that was left at the lake last year. It will be a tough weekend but it's all for a good cause – being warm and cozy in the winter. This way we don't need to pay for helicoptering in firewood as has been done in the past. The money saved can go towards better gear, etc.
A few of us will work on cutting the firewood into carry-able rounds with chainsaws. Only people who can already operate chainsaws will do this.
To avoid mosquitos we'll have our well-deserved dinner and sleep at/around Brew hut (as opposed to the trailhead).
What to bring:
- Everything on the Summer Overnight gear list.
- Don't forget the sunscreen and mosquito repellant!
- More snacks than usual. It will be a tough day.
- Rope/cord for tying firewood if you have.
- A metal frame backpack if you have (or rent from the club).
- Being able to walk.
- Let us know if you can operate a chainsaw!
Join us! It's gonna be fun!