Members can insert new events into the calendar
and signup for trips, but please read the instructions
VOC trips are organized by members like yourself, not professional guides. The trips go into wilderness areas where assistance is unavailable and unexpected events can occur. You could be seriously injured or die. You are responsible for your own actions. Please use caution.
Glacier School - G1 · Sat. Sep. 16th - Sun. Sep. 17th
Warning: This is an old trip - it already happened
- Details Page: Where you can see brief trip details (publicly viewable).
- This trip does not have an associated Wiki Page.
- Message Board Thread: Discuss this trip with other members here.
- Signup Page: Where you can signup, bail, edit participation entries, see/email members on the trip, etc.
- Drivers Page: Where you can arrange rides, get pickup directions and email by car.
- Wikitext Page: From where you can cut and paste information formatted for the wiki.
- Printable List Page: Which generates a printable list of participants.
- Edit Page: Where the trip organizer can edit the entry for this trip.
- Mark Going Page: Where the trip organizer can sign members up as "actually going".
- Modify Signups: Where the trip organizer can change signup classes.
Organized by: Joe O\'Brien
Start: Saturday, Sep. 16th, 8:00 am
End: Sunday, Sep. 17th, 8:00 pm
Pre-trip meeting: Wednesday, Sep. 13th, 6:00 pm
Pre-trip meeting location: SWNG 122Description:
It's about that time of year where you've worn all the skin off your fingers working on your 5.13 project, a lot of the fresh snow in the big mountains has melted, and you're starting to think about winter again. Or maybe you've been eyeing peaks like Mt. Baker, Garabaldi, the Tantalus Range, etc and wondered what basic skills you'd need to travel on big mountain glaciers. Whatever your motivation, we've got you covered!! Join me, as well as many other phenomenal and experienced VOC instructors to learn the basics of glacier travel and crevasse rescue techniques.
As this is the annual introduction to glacier travel course taught in the VOC, it is VERY popular, and those who are interested should sign up as 'Committed' early. Signup for 'Committed' opens at 12:00am on Wenesday September 6th.
1) Overnight backcountry camping experience
2) Backpacking experience
3) VOC Rock 2 or equivalent (anchor-building and introductory rope system skills)*
Attending this trip without ALL prerequisites is not possible, as it would pose a saftey hazard to all those involved.
*if you do not have these specific skills, Kelsey Miller has generously offered to run a trip (here), which while in no way a replacement for Rock 2, will satisfy the prerequisite for this trip. Additionally, if you have attended a snow anchor and crevasse rescue session at Wreck Beach, that will also satisfy this prerequisite.
Glacier school will offer you the opportunity to learn how to self-arrest; knots for mountaineering; basic hauling systems for rescue; glacier travel; and much more! The full curricullum information packet can be found here.
If you have taken G1 before and feel VERY competent in your skills regarding basic crevasse rescue, knots, ascending ropes with prussiks, etc, then you're in luck - there's a great place for you as an instructor for G1! Note: most instructors are just that; experienced VOC members with no professional accrediation or certification. i.e. they are not professional guides. Sign up as interested for this trip, and note that you wish to instruct to get an email about instructing!
Who: Passionate outdoor adventurers who have all of the above note prerequisites, and want to travel on glaciers!
What: Instructional trip focusing on basics of glacier travel, crevasse rescue, snow skills, and alpine mountaineering skills. See above handbook and curriculum for more information.
Where: TBC, in Canda (likely Cypress Peak, north of Squamish)
When: Sept. 16-17th, 2017
Why: Have you looked at the picture below.....?
How: Show up to the pre-trip and the trip to find out!
And if you're still not convinced, learning the skills taught on G1 will allow you to participate on VOC trips that go to places like this:
Mt. Baker Sunrise. Photo Credit: Nathan Starzynski
Posted: 2017-08-05 14:28:49
Last modified: 2017-09-11 12:24:33