VOC trips are organized by members like yourself, not professional guides. The trips go into wilderness areas where assistance is unavailable and unexpected events can occur. You could be seriously injured or die. You are responsible for your own actions. Please use caution.
Indian Arm Kayak Trip (Beginner Friendly - Joint trip with UBC Sailing Club) · Sat. Sep. 23rd - Sun. Sep. 24th
Warning: This is an old trip - it already happened
- Details Page: Where you can see brief trip details (publicly viewable).
- This trip does not have an associated Wiki Page.
- Message Board Thread: Discuss this trip with other members here.
- Signup Page: Where you can signup, bail, edit participation entries, see/email members on the trip, etc.
- Drivers Page: Where you can arrange rides, get pickup directions and email by car.
- Wikitext Page: From where you can cut and paste information formatted for the wiki.
- Printable List Page: Which generates a printable list of participants.
- Edit Page: Where the trip organizer can edit the entry for this trip.
- Mark Going Page: Where the trip organizer can sign members up as "actually going".
- Modify Signups: Where the trip organizer can change signup classes.
Start: Saturday, Sep. 23rd
End: Sunday, Sep. 24th
Pre-trip meeting: Wednesday, Sep. 20th, 6:00 pm
Pre-trip meeting location: Jericho Sailing Centre (1300 Discovery Street), NW meeting room
It's the annual VOC kayaking trip to Indian Arm!
This will be an overnight kayak trip involving one night of backcountry camping and two days of paddling.
We'll launch a short drive from Vancouver at Deep Cove, home to the yummiest donuts the world has ever known. From there we'll paddle to Granite Falls, where we should arrive in mid-afternoon. We will set up camp, and if there is still time, people can paddle a bit more to explore or just stay in camp and hang out. One of the pleasures of kayak camping is being able to carry more weight than on a backpack, so I propose we have a decadent dessert potluck. The next day we'll head back to Deep Cove trying to avoid the notorious late afternoon headwind.
This year we'll be running this as a joint trip with the UBC Sailing Club. If you happen to be a member of both clubs, and we have enough cars to transport a kayak for you from Vancouver, you won't have to pay for a kayak rental. If you aren't a member of the UBC Sailing Club, you might still save money if we get some sailing club members to take double kayaks from the sailing club and put VOCers in the 2nd seat. Otherwise, we've reserved double kayaks from Deep Cove Kayak - approx $92 per person. If you have questions about the UBC Sailing Club, ask Alberto Contreras, VOC member and UBC Sailing Club Kayak Fleet Captain. If you have your own kayak, you are welcome to bring it.
This trip is beginner-friendly, which means that we will explain clearly what gear etc is required at the pretrip meeting, we won't leave anyone behind, and we will generally cultivate an atmosphere of inclusiveness. However there are a few requirements to participate:
- You should be a confident swimmer
- You should be fit enough to do moderate physical activity for about 5 hours with short breaks
- You should be prepared to spend a good portion of the weekend cold and wet
If you have never camped in the wilderness before, please let me know so I can make sure you have all the information you need.
Although the trip to Granite Falls is not very far, a strong wind could make it quite hard work so you should be prepared for that possibility.
We have three people with kayaking experience who will be helpers on this trip, but are looking for at least one more. Please be in touch if this is you!
The pretrip meeting will be at Jericho Sailing Centre, 1300 Discovery Street - NW meeting room.