VOC trips are organized by members like yourself, not professional guides. The trips go into wilderness areas where assistance is unavailable and unexpected events can occur. You could be seriously injured or die. You are responsible for your own actions. Please use caution.
Panorama Ridge/Garibaldi Lake/Black Tusk Three-day/Overnight Thanksgiving Hike · Sat. Oct. 7th - Mon. Oct. 9th
Warning: This is an old trip - it already happened
- Details Page: Where you can see brief trip details (publicly viewable).
- This trip does not have an associated Wiki Page.
- This trip does not have an associated Message Board Thread.
- Signup Page: Where you can signup, bail, edit participation entries, see/email members on the trip, etc.
- Drivers Page: Where you can arrange rides, get pickup directions and email by car.
- Wikitext Page: From where you can cut and paste information formatted for the wiki.
- Printable List Page: Which generates a printable list of participants.
- Edit Page: Where the trip organizer can edit the entry for this trip.
- Mark Going Page: Where the trip organizer can sign members up as "actually going".
- Modify Signups: Where the trip organizer can change signup classes.
Start: Saturday, Oct. 7th, 12:00 pm
End: Monday, Oct. 9th, 7:00 pm
Pre-trip meeting: Wednesday, Oct. 4th, 7:45 pm
Pre-trip meeting location: Outside VOC clubroom
One last overnight trip before the rain and my first load of mid-term marking comes in!
Pre Trip, 6th October, 7.45pm, outside the clubroom. Apologies for being so late in the evening, I have graduate seminars until 7.30pm. We will make sure you have all the required equipment and are organized in a carpool/tent/cooking group.
Day One, Saturday 9th October, 12pm. Again, apologies for the late start, I teach until 11am and can't afford to miss another weekend of work for hiking. We will aim to have everyone picked up and on the road by 12pm. The drive is roughly 1 and a half hours, and we will aim to be on the trail by 2pm. It is a 9km hike (around 3 hours) from the carpark/trail head to the Garibaldi campground, where we will stay for the night. There will be an opportunity to do some exploring/extra hiking once we are all set up at the campsite. Camground reservations need to made HERE once tent groups are set, and cost $6 a person (up to $18 per tent).
Day Two, Sunday 10th October. After breakfast we will hike up to Panorama Ridge and then back down to Taylor Meadows campsite, where we will stay for the night - approx 12km round trip, 4-5 hours hiking. Campground reservations also need to be booked via the same link above ($6 pp).
Day Three, Monday 11th October. We will try and get an early start and hike up to Black Tusk. This will be a long day hiking (around 17km from campsite-black tusk-trailhead/carpark). Expect to be back in Vancouver late afternoon/early evening.
This trip is beginner friendly, but does involve two nights camping - so at least some previous overnight camping experience preferable. Email me if you have any worries!
Reservations need to be made for both campsites as we are still just within peak-season, this is better to do as far ahead of time as possible - so once your tent groups/carpools are set reserve your spots.
The VOC has boots and backpacks for rent but not sleeping-bags or tents, MEC offers rentals HERE.
Information on the weather can be found HERE. Please pack and dress appropriately.