VOC trips are organized by members like yourself, not professional guides. The trips go into wilderness areas where assistance is unavailable and unexpected events can occur. You could be seriously injured or die. You are responsible for your own actions. Please use caution.
Middle Earth Alpine Adventures and Legendary Thanksgiving Hut Feast - (Beginner Friendly) · Sat. Oct. 7th - Mon. Oct. 9th
Warning: This is an old trip - it already happened
- Details Page: Where you can see brief trip details (publicly viewable).
- This trip does not have an associated Wiki Page.
- Message Board Thread: Discuss this trip with other members here.
- Signup Page: Where you can signup, bail, edit participation entries, see/email members on the trip, etc.
- Drivers Page: Where you can arrange rides, get pickup directions and email by car.
- Wikitext Page: From where you can cut and paste information formatted for the wiki.
- Printable List Page: Which generates a printable list of participants.
- Edit Page: Where the trip organizer can edit the entry for this trip.
- Mark Going Page: Where the trip organizer can sign members up as "actually going".
- Modify Signups: Where the trip organizer can change signup classes.
Start: Saturday, Oct. 7th, 6:00 am
End: Monday, Oct. 9th, 10:00 pm
Pre-trip meeting: Wednesday, Oct. 4th, 7:30 pm
Pre-trip meeting location: Clubroom
Friendly VOC'ers, come gather in the mountains for a delightful long weekend of alpine exploration, cold polar plunging, #hutlife living, deep conversationing, friend making, potluck feasting, and warm hearted mulled wine drinking.
We'll be heading up to the Brian Waddington Hut, commonly known as Phelix, the largest of the VOC huts for this epic Thanksgiving trip. (Say what!?? I'm new to the VOC and we have our own huts? - That's right! In fact, we've got an entire four of them open to us and the public around the Coast Mountain Range).
Phelix on a clear new year's night a few years back. Expect less snow in the beginning of October (although it's not unheard of, there was 30cm this time last year).
The condensed syllabus for this trip has us driving up on Saturday morning, hiking the 5km / 500m elevation to the hut, arriving, and heading out to explore. We'll keep exploring and merry making until Monday morning when we wake up at some point and eventually decide that we sadly have to return to civilization.
Now, maybe you've already forgetten about the title of this trip. But if you haven't you could be wondering what is meant by 'Middle Earth'. Like, isn't that something to do with Lords and Rings and stuff? Well yeah. In fact, Phelix Hut is situated right in the middle of the Tolkein Range. From the hut, we have options to hike and scramble such mountains as Gandalf, Aragorn, Shadowfax, Frodo, and Peregrine. And it really does look and feel like middle earth too - but with substantially less orcs.
Just look at this paradise! The hut is located at the left end of the lake, while Mounts Aragorn and Shadowfax are in the background.