VOC trips are organized by members like yourself, not professional guides. The trips go into wilderness areas where assistance is unavailable and unexpected events can occur. You could be seriously injured or die. You are responsible for your own actions. Please use caution.
[workhike] VOC Library Party Workhike #1 · Tuesday, November 7th
Warning: This is an old trip - it already happened
- Details Page: Where you can see brief trip details (publicly viewable).
- This trip does not have an associated Wiki Page.
- Message Board Thread: Discuss this trip with other members here.
- Signup Page: Where you can signup, bail, edit participation entries, see/email members on the trip, etc.
- Wikitext Page: From where you can cut and paste information formatted for the wiki.
- Printable List Page: Which generates a printable list of participants.
- Edit Page: Where the trip organizer can edit the entry for this trip.
- Mark Going Page: Where the trip organizer can sign members up as "actually going" (members can also sign themselves up as "actually going" on this trip, using the signup page).
- Modify Signups: Where the trip organizer can change signup classes.
Start: Tuesday, Nov. 7th, 6:00 pm
End: Tuesday, Nov. 7th, 9:00 pm
Did you know the peaks called the ''Bookworms'' in Garibaldi Park are dedicated to ''those who study all the time by UBC VOC members? A bookworm is someone who studies all the time, instead of being out skiing'' (www.bivouac.com).
Well dear Bookworms of the VOC, have I got a challenge for you! You see, the VOC has a wonderful library of guidebooks, technique books, maps, and wonderful literature entirely at your disposal as VOC members. However, our database seems to be many years out of date.
A searchable online library database is useful so that you don’t need to spend your precious time coming to the clubroom to check if we already have a book that you want. However, updating it seems not to have been done, probably because it is a big job to make a list of the dozens of books in our Library. But … the job becomes easy if we all shoulder a little piece of the burden!
I am looking for approximately 15 volunteers to help me, your humble Archivist, update our Library Database. Your job will be simple: in one evening at this workhike, go through one single library shelf each, and fill that shelf's library titles in a Google Sheet that I have put together for this event. I hope that if 15 people show up and each work for one hour, we can collectively do a 15-hour job in an evening.
Isn't that much better than assigning this big task to one person? Aren't you stoked for improving access to your library's collection?
Have you been looking to give back to the club in a low-commitment, but still very useful way! Here is how to start!
You will be rewarded with the joy of helping accomplish this task that has been put off for too long, and this also makes it easier for us to figure out which books we want to purchase next. A little bit of help like this goes a long way to keep our club running.
Plus it counts as a workhike!
Plus Plus, I will see if I can get us some pizza!!
Plus Plus Plus! Social drinks/food at the Gallery afterwards!!!
YOU WILL NEED A LAPTOP TO BE USEFUL! Bring your laptops please!
Please use the signup tool, so we make sure we have critical mass of about ten people to make this happen.