Members can insert new events into the calendar
and signup for trips, but please read the instructions
VOC trips are organized by members like yourself, not professional guides. The trips go into wilderness areas where assistance is unavailable and unexpected events can occur. You could be seriously injured or die. You are responsible for your own actions. Please use caution.
Ski Touring The Gargoyles - Intermediate Friendly! · Sat. Dec. 16th - Sun. Dec. 17th
Warning: This is an old trip - it already happened
- Details Page: Where you can see brief trip details (publicly viewable).
- This trip does not have an associated Wiki Page.
- Message Board Thread: Discuss this trip with other members here.
- Signup Page: Where you can signup, bail, edit participation entries, see/email members on the trip, etc.
- Drivers Page: Where you can arrange rides, get pickup directions and email by car.
- Wikitext Page: From where you can cut and paste information formatted for the wiki.
- Printable List Page: Which generates a printable list of participants.
- Edit Page: Where the trip organizer can edit the entry for this trip.
- Mark Going Page: Where the trip organizer can sign members up as "actually going".
- Modify Signups: Where the trip organizer can change signup classes.
Organized by: Vincent Chan-Ying
Start: Saturday, Dec. 16th, 8:00 am
End: Sunday, Dec. 17th, 6:00 pm
Pre-trip meeting location: Message board faffDescription:
- Avalanche Safety Training Level 1
- Previous winter camping experience
- Moderate fitness
- Avalanche beacon, probe, and shovel
- Touring skis (splitboarders are okay ;))
- Winter Overnight Equipment (you can rent a winter sleeping bag from MEC if you don't have a warm enough bag)
What to expect:
- Approx. 6 hour approach to Elfin Lakes (approx. 600m elevation gain over 11km)
- A rad potluck in one of the following: a teepee, snow cave, or the Elfin Lakes Hut
- A late alpine start (wake up 7am or earlier) for The Gargoyles or other skiable slopes depending on avalanche conditions
Dreaming of skiing through a winter wonderland? Ever wanted to build a snowcave or quinzee and sleep in it?! Elfin Lakes is where all of those dreams can come true!
Who: Developing backcountry skiers with AST-1 and moderate fitness, comfortable with travelling and riding in simple to challenging terrain.
What: Getting better acquainted with winter camping and ski touring in a relatively safe environment (there's a heated hut nearby in case people get hypothermic for whatever reason)
When: Saturday December 16th, starting 8am and finishing Sunday December 17th around 6pm.
Why: Don't you want to ski in beautiful backcountry terrain?!?!
How: Ask questions, be prepared, and get out there!
List equipment that you can share (tent, spare sleeping bags, winter stoves and pots, etc.) on the message board to facilitate organization!
*Note: The trip states that the maximum number of participants is set for 8 participants. This cap is absolutely neccessary for winter backcountry trips that travel in potentially risky terrain, and I will not exceed this number for this trip. Hence, if you sign up as "Committed," it DOES NOT guarantee a spot on the trip; though if you sign up as "Committed" early and prove to have all the proper pre-reqs, then you'll have a increased likelihood of attending the trip.*
Posted: 2017-11-25 23:56:19
Last modified: 2017-11-25 23:58:57