VOC trips are organized by members like yourself, not professional guides. The trips go into wilderness areas where assistance is unavailable and unexpected events can occur. You could be seriously injured or die. You are responsible for your own actions. Please use caution.
Burns n Turns - Winter Camping - Huge Potluck · Sat. Jan. 27th - Sun. Jan. 28th
Warning: This is an old trip - it already happened
- Details Page: Where you can see brief trip details (publicly viewable).
- This trip does not have an associated Wiki Page.
- Message Board Thread: Discuss this trip with other members here.
- Signup Page: Where you can signup, bail, edit participation entries, see/email members on the trip, etc.
- Drivers Page: Where you can arrange rides, get pickup directions and email by car.
- Wikitext Page: From where you can cut and paste information formatted for the wiki.
- Printable List Page: Which generates a printable list of participants.
- Edit Page: Where the trip organizer can edit the entry for this trip.
- Mark Going Page: Where members of the exec and the trip organizer can sign members up as "actually going".
- Modify Signups: Where the trip organizer can change signup classes.
Start: Saturday, Jan. 27th, 6:00 am
End: Sunday, Jan. 28th, 8:00 pm
Pre-trip meeting: Thursday, Jan. 25th, 7:00 pm
Pre-trip meeting location: Clubroom
Céad míle fáilte (welcome),
Come one, come all.... to the annual Burns n’ Turns Trip!! Robbie Burns Day is on Wednesday January 25th this year, so we will celebrate by going to the camping spot near the Elfin Lakes Hut the weekend of Saturday 27th to Sunday 28th. We went to this location last year and found it was great- there is a warming hut, an actual warm hut, and skiing options. It is also possible for those who are wanting to make their own independent plans to head up Friday night or book their night in the hut. It is about 11 Km to the winter campsite, about 5 km at a moderate pace.
This outing will include:
- An Ode to the Haggis, An Ode to the Lassies and an Ode to the lads.
- *Scottish dress such as a kilt or sweater is also welcome and greatly encouraged*
- consumption of Scottish drinks such as whiskey and Buckfast are also encouraged. .
- music, singing, maybe learn some scottish dance moves this year?!
This is a backcountry ski trip. While it is a beginner friendly trip, having avalanche training is highly recommended. There are lots of skiing opportunities in the area for those who want to do some short day excursions as well (ie. the Gargoyles). It is also possible to make it up to the hut by snowshoe if you do not tour. This trip has a rating of B1(found on the voc wiki).
*** $10 per person *** for camping fee
Sign up for going will be determined by
1) Those who bring me their $10 for the camping fee (A way for me to get my money back for the 36 camp spots ive reserved!)
2) In order on the "committeed" - "interested" lists