VOC trips are organized by members like yourself, not professional guides. The trips go into wilderness areas where assistance is unavailable and unexpected events can occur. You could be seriously injured or die. You are responsible for your own actions. Please use caution.
VOC Hosts VIMFF: Rock and Ice · Wednesday, February 14th
Warning: This is an old trip - it already happened
- Details Page: Where you can see brief trip details (publicly viewable).
- This trip does not have an associated Wiki Page.
- Message Board Thread: Discuss this trip with other members here.
- External Link: For extra information not hosted on the VOC site.
- This trip does not use the signup tool.
- Wikitext Page: From where you can cut and paste information formatted for the wiki.
- Printable List Page: Which generates a printable list of participants.
- Edit Page: Where the trip organizer can edit the entry for this trip.
- Modify Signups: Where the trip organizer can change signup classes.
Start: Wednesday, Feb. 14th, 7:00 pm
VIMFF is excited to partner up with the VOC for a second year to bring you VIMFF films at UBC. Like last year, the two showings at UBC are a fundraiser, with proceeds going to Seach and Rescue (SAR), Avalanche Canada and the Neil Mackenzie Adventure Grant (NMAG). See the message board thread for VOC discount codes for club members.
Tickets and details here: https://vimff.org/rock-and-ice
Doors open: 7 PM; show starts: 7:30 PM
Remember to check the message board for a discount code for VOC members.
Program for Rock and Ice:
Guest speaker: Don Serl
Films: Psycho Vertical, Searching for Christmas Tree
Don Serl spent 35 years rock climbing, ice climbing, and mountaineering in the Coast Mountains of BC, with a special emphasis on exploratory trips into seldom-visited corners of the Range. With about a dozen trips into the Waddington Range and perhaps 30 others into various other remote sections of the Coast Mountains, netting roughly a hundred new routes, Don is in the uniquely privileged position of having experienced most of the major regions of the Coast Mountains, and having sampled the new route potential therein. In his show “Adventures Off the Beaten Track”, Don will review a variety of trips into ‘back-corners’ of the Coast Mountains, and might just let slip a few hints of potential routes waiting to be done
Psycho Vertical: Based on his best-selling auto-biography Psycho Vertical, this is a raw and emotive study of the complex life and motivations of writer, funny-man and Britain’s unlikeliest hero-mountaineer, Andy Kirkpatrick, woven into an 18 day solo ascent of El Capitan, Yosemite.
Searching For Christmas Tree: A university teacher looking to break free from a life of routine in China and a mysterious frozen waterfall that no one knows the whereabouts, spins this story of seemingly futile quests and ultimately transcending climb.