VOC trips are organized by members like yourself, not professional guides. The trips go into wilderness areas where assistance is unavailable and unexpected events can occur. You could be seriously injured or die. You are responsible for your own actions. Please use caution.
Egg hunt at Sphinx bay · Sat. Mar. 31st - Sun. Apr. 1st
Warning: This is an old trip - it already happened
Warning, this trip has been cancelled : Sorry, I really don't feel competent leading a trip up there anymore and I don't want to transfer the entire responsibility to someone else.
- Details Page: Where you can see brief trip details (publicly viewable).
- Wiki Page: For additional information/organization (publicly viewable).
- Message Board Thread: Discuss this trip with other members here.
- Signup Page: Where you can signup, bail, edit participation entries, see/email members on the trip, etc.
- Drivers Page: Where you can arrange rides, get pickup directions and email by car.
- Wikitext Page: From where you can cut and paste information formatted for the wiki.
- Printable List Page: Which generates a printable list of participants.
- Edit Page: Where the trip organizer can edit the entry for this trip.
- Mark Going Page: Where the trip organizer can sign members up as "actually going".
- Modify Signups: Where the trip organizer can change signup classes.
Start: Saturday, Mar. 31st
End: Sunday, Apr. 1st
Pre-trip meeting: Wednesday, Mar. 28th, 6:00 pm
Pre-trip meeting location: Clubroom (inside or in the front)
Let's go up to Garibaldi Lake and visit the Burton hut on the easter weekend!
The plan is to drive up on Saturday morning, snowshoe/ski up the trail and cross the frozen lake to get to the hut (about 15 km and 1000m elevation gain). Then have a fun time in snow and in the hut and see if the Easter Bunny made it up the hill by the next morning and brought some treats before heading down to the parking lot again.
While there is not a lot of experience required, you should feel confident to carry an overnight pack all the way up and across the lake and bring appropriate gear (see linked wiki page above). If you're not confident with backcountry skiing just get some snowshoes and you'll be fine. Avy gear (beacon, shovel, probe) will be required by all participants and we should bring tents just in case the lake isn't safe to cross or if the hut is too full once we get there.
See you all there,
*This is a tentative trip, because I have never been to Burton Hut or have crossed a frozen lake before and we'd ideally have at at least one committed participant who did.