VOC trips are organized by members like yourself, not professional guides. The trips go into wilderness areas where assistance is unavailable and unexpected events can occur. You could be seriously injured or die. You are responsible for your own actions. Please use caution.
Sphinx Hut Beginner Friendly Ski Mission (if the lake is frozen) to celebrate Waitangi Day · Sat. Feb. 4th - Sun. Feb. 5th
Warning: This is an old trip - it already happened
- Details Page: Where you can see brief trip details (publicly viewable).
- This trip does not have an associated Wiki Page.
- This trip does not have an associated Message Board Thread.
- Signup Page: Where you can signup, bail, edit participation entries, see/email members on the trip, etc.
- Drivers Page: Where you can arrange rides, get pickup directions and email by car.
- Wikitext Page: From where you can cut and paste information formatted for the wiki.
- Printable List Page: Which generates a printable list of participants.
- Edit Page: Where the trip organizer can edit the entry for this trip.
- Mark Going Page: Where members of the exec and the trip organizer can sign members up as "actually going".
- Modify Signups: Where the trip organizer can change signup classes.
Start: Saturday, Feb. 4th
End: Sunday, Feb. 5th
Pre-trip meeting: Wednesday, Feb. 1st, 6:00 pm
Pre-trip meeting location: Clubroom
Sphinx is an awesome hut, and has some sweet skiing either down the glaciers or in the trees near the garbage pile, unfortunately while the other VOC huts (Brew and Phelix) get a lot of ski trips to them in the early season, we have to wait for Garibaldi Lake to freeze before this hut becomes easily accessible. Usually the Lake freezes around the end of January or start of February. So hopefully the lakes frozen, otherwise we will find somewhere else to ski.
The skin up to Garibaldi lake is not super technical, but there is a fair elevation gain (approximately 1000m), and then a 4km lake to cross once you think you are there.
Hopefully ski some sweet lines on Sunday morning, before taking on the switch-back on the way down.
This trip is beginner friendly, but would help if you are reasonably fit. If you have question feel free to email me, or post on the message board once I have the thread started.