VOC trips are organized by members like yourself, not professional guides. The trips go into wilderness areas where assistance is unavailable and unexpected events can occur. You could be seriously injured or die. You are responsible for your own actions. Please use caution.
Iron Chef: VOC Edition (Beginner Friendly) · Sat. Oct. 13th - Sun. Oct. 14th
Warning: This is an old trip - it already happened
- Details Page: Where you can see brief trip details (publicly viewable).
- Wiki Page: For additional information/organization (publicly viewable).
- Message Board Thread: Discuss this trip with other members here.
- Signup Page: Where you can signup, bail, edit participation entries, see/email members on the trip, etc.
- Drivers Page: Where you can arrange rides, get pickup directions and email by car.
- Wikitext Page: From where you can cut and paste information formatted for the wiki.
- Printable List Page: Which generates a printable list of participants.
- Edit Page: Where the trip organizer can edit the entry for this trip.
- Mark Going Page: Where the trip organizer can sign members up as "actually going".
- Modify Signups: Where the trip organizer can change signup classes.
Start: Saturday, Oct. 13th
End: Sunday, Oct. 14th
Pre-trip meeting: Tuesday, Oct. 9th, 6:30 pm
Pre-trip meeting location: Clubroom
First of all, if you do not know Iron Chef, please do educate thyself with this fine introductory video:
Okay, now that you see what it's about, you can quietly close this window.
Okay, really, This is serious business, This is competitive cooking...in the backcountry. Exxtrraaa serious.
Basically the idea is to have a backcountry cooking competition involving all things savoury and delectable and tasty, because eating yummy things at the end of the day is awesome.
So, here is how it works:
We will announce the *secret ingredient,* (which is dried apricots!)
So you have to make a dish with the secret ingredient playing a key role in the flavour profile of your dish. Oh, we're not culinary snobs or anything. Not a lot of people are after a day of slogging.
Categories within which you could become victorious in are as follows:
1) Best Overall/most amazingly awesomely better than your mom's cooking dish
3) Best Dessert
Iron Chef: VOC Edition will be held at Wedgemont Lake so we can hike far enough to justify such a feast.
Is this trip for me? Probably. Unless you a square. It's beginner friendly, which means we will wait for you. It's about 1100m elevation gain (the Grouse Grind is 850). Sunday we will probably just sleep in, but I guess people could climb something if they want. No backpacking experience necessary.
Disclaimer: A full bottle of wine may or may not have been involved during the composition of this particular piece of writing. Heck, I think it's literature baby.
I promise I'll be sober for the trip. At least during the day anyway. I take bribes in the form of wine. Wait, no, I'm fair I swear! Oooh, it rhymes.
(Edit: since we're in Canada, it'll be a democracy. Everyone will (hopefully) vote. I still like wine.)