VOC trips are organized by members like yourself, not professional guides. The trips go into wilderness areas where assistance is unavailable and unexpected events can occur. You could be seriously injured or die. You are responsible for your own actions. Please use caution.
Reclaiming the VOC's Harrison Hut · Sat. Nov. 17th - Sun. Nov. 18th
Warning: This is an old trip - it already happened
- Details Page: Where you can see brief trip details (publicly viewable).
- This trip does not have an associated Wiki Page.
- Message Board Thread: Discuss this trip with other members here.
- External Link: For extra information not hosted on the VOC site.
- Signup Page: Where you can signup, bail, edit participation entries, see/email members on the trip, etc.
- Drivers Page: Where you can arrange rides, get pickup directions and email by car.
- Wikitext Page: From where you can cut and paste information formatted for the wiki.
- Printable List Page: Which generates a printable list of participants.
- Edit Page: Where the trip organizer can edit the entry for this trip.
- Mark Going Page: Where the trip organizer can sign members up as "actually going".
- Modify Signups: Where the trip organizer can change signup classes.
Start: Saturday, Nov. 17th
End: Sunday, Nov. 18th, 11:00 pm
Pre-trip meeting: Thursday, Nov. 15th, 6:00 pm
Pre-trip meeting location: VOC Clubroom
The VOC's Harrison Hut has been an elusive place ever since half of Mt. Meager collapsed and took out kilometers of road and 2 bridges needed to get there. So Ben and I have been directing VOC labour on a new route on the geologically stable side of the valley. After a series of route-finding trips, rock moving trips, and finally route-clearing trips it's time to reclaim "summer" overland, self-propelled access by making it all the way to the hut! Now that the first half of the route is (almost) complete we are concentrating on routefinding for the second half. This leg was is the 80s era route to the hut, so we know it goes - we've just never been there. We will bring flagging and markers, to mark the way for future brush clearing missions next trailbuilding season.
See the map in "other" links above. We'll be checking out the green sections.
If we get a ton of snow below 900m before this trip it may be cancelled. We might also bring skis or snowshoes, as appropriate, to ensure we can make it all the way to the hut.
I'm looking for a few other folks to join me, who are either reasonably fast hikers or not strangers to bushwacking. Perhaps ideally both. If some other people want to come out and do trail work the same weekend this could probably work out too - there is some brush clearing which needs to be done.
This trip has a high probability of bushwacking an unknown route in the dark.