VOC trips are organized by members like yourself, not professional guides. The trips go into wilderness areas where assistance is unavailable and unexpected events can occur. You could be seriously injured or die. You are responsible for your own actions. Please use caution.
Beginner Friendly Sphinx Bay · Sat. Mar. 2nd - Sun. Mar. 3rd
Warning: This is an old trip - it already happened
Warning, this trip has been cancelled
- Details Page: Where you can see brief trip details (publicly viewable).
- This trip does not have an associated Wiki Page.
- Message Board Thread: Discuss this trip with other members here.
- Signup Page: Where you can signup, bail, edit participation entries, see/email members on the trip, etc.
- Drivers Page: Where you can arrange rides, get pickup directions and email by car.
- Wikitext Page: From where you can cut and paste information formatted for the wiki.
- Printable List Page: Which generates a printable list of participants.
- Edit Page: Where the trip organizer can edit the entry for this trip.
- Mark Going Page: Where the trip organizer can sign members up as "actually going".
- Modify Signups: Where the trip organizer can change signup classes.
Start: Saturday, Mar. 2nd
End: Sunday, Mar. 3rd
Pre-trip meeting: Wednesday, Feb. 27th, 6:00 pm
Pre-trip meeting location: Clubroom
Some of you have probably hiked up to Garibaldi Lake in the summer and stared across at the gorgeous cirque of peaks on the other side. Did you know that the VOC had a hut there? For a few months every year, Garibaldi Lake freezes over and allows us passage to this magical place.
This will be a beginner friendly trip up to Burton (Sphinx) Hut. Experience isn't required, but either fitness or toughness will be very important. It's a long way. You'll charge up a hill bigger than the grouse grind, then cross a lake that seems like it never ends (it does), all while carrying an overnight pack.
Trip size is limited to two carloads, or even just one if no other experienced people sign up. Everyone will be on skis, because they're awesome and it's easier to keep the group together. You can borrow them (along with a transiver, shovel and probe) from the club.