Members can insert new events into the calendar and signup for trips, but please read the instructions before posting.
VOC trips are organized by members like yourself, not professional guides. The trips go into wilderness areas where assistance is unavailable and unexpected events can occur. You could be seriously injured or die. You are responsible for your own actions. Please use caution.

Mount Matier · Sat. Apr. 30th - Sun. May. 1st

Warning: This is an old trip - it already happened

  • Details Page: Where you can see brief trip details (publicly viewable).
  • Wiki Page: For additional information/organization (publicly viewable).
  • Message Board Thread: Discuss this trip with other members here.
  • Signup Page: Where you can signup, bail, edit participation entries, see/email members on the trip, etc.
  • Drivers Page: Where you can arrange rides, get pickup directions and email by car.
  • Wikitext Page: From where you can cut and paste information formatted for the wiki.
  • Printable List Page: Which generates a printable list of participants.
  • Edit Page: Where the trip organizer can edit the entry for this trip.
  • Mark Going Page: Where members of the exec and the trip organizer can sign members up as "actually going".
  • Modify Signups: Where the trip organizer can change signup classes.
Organized by: Charlie Beard.

Start: Saturday, Apr. 30th
End: Sunday, May. 1st
Pre-trip meeting: Wednesday, Apr. 27th, 6:00 pm
Pre-trip meeting location: VOC Clubroom

Description:
Often on clear mornings before VOC trips I see the looming bulk that is Mt Baker on the sunrise horizon. I want to climb it!

Mt Baker (3285m) is a stratovolcano of the Cascade Volcanic Arc, much like Rainer and Garibaldi. I'm told it's steep sides offer a continuous run through 1900m of elevation loss and resting on the way down is mandatory! Baldwin's ski guide says an ascent is possible in about 8hrs despite 2200m elevation gain over 10km.

There's been alot of snow this year and some people I've spoken to have recommended running this trip late season to allow driving to higher elevations. Others recommend an early season ascent so it's possible to ski all the way down... I'm happy to organise this trip but would like a bit of help with logistics. If we have more than 5 interested I suggest we split into two groups to minimize faff.

I'd like to do this trip in a day but if it looks like we'll have to break trail a weekend might be more realistic. We'll decide how long we need at the pretrip.
Interested participants should have skiing and glacier travel experience.
As with any mountaineering objective this trip is weather and avi condition dependent and the date may change to reflect this.

Posted: 2011-04-21 15:08:20
Last modified: 2011-05-02 16:19:05