VOC trips are organized by members like yourself, not professional guides. The trips go into wilderness areas where assistance is unavailable and unexpected events can occur. You could be seriously injured or die. You are responsible for your own actions. Please use caution.
Phelix Work Hike #1 · Sat. Jun. 4th - Sun. Jun. 5th
Warning: This is an old trip - it already happened
- Details Page: Where you can see brief trip details (publicly viewable).
- This trip does not have an associated Wiki Page.
- Message Board Thread: Discuss this trip with other members here.
- Signup Page: Where you can signup, bail, edit participation entries, see/email members on the trip, etc.
- Drivers Page: Where you can arrange rides, get pickup directions and email by car.
- Wikitext Page: From where you can cut and paste information formatted for the wiki.
- Printable List Page: Which generates a printable list of participants.
- Edit Page: Where the trip organizer can edit the entry for this trip.
- Mark Going Page: Where the trip organizer can sign members up as "actually going".
- Modify Signups: Where the trip organizer can change signup classes.
Start: Saturday, Jun. 4th, 6:39 am
End: Sunday, Jun. 5th, 11:39 pm
Pre-trip meeting: Wednesday, Jun. 1st, 6:00 pm
Pre-trip meeting location: Spanish Banks at the base of Tolmie St.
The Brian Waddington Hut is sort of the VOC's showcase hut. It's huge, it's pretty and it's nestled in some of the most beautiful terrain in the world. In the winter it's an awesome place to go skiing, and in the summer, there's enough hikes and scrambles to keep you occupied for quite a few weekend missions. Unfortunately, huts don't take care of themselves, which means it's up to us club members to take care of them. If we don't, they fall down (like Brew 1 and 2, the Neve Hilton, and several other past VOC huts).
The club is looking at replacing some or all of the windows up at the Brian Waddington Hut this summer. To do so will require a little recon. We'll be heading up to the hut on Saturday morning and we'll then have a tick list of stuff that needs doing.
Number one on that list will be measuring the windows so we can have some new ones made up. We also want to do a full clean-out of the hut. We'll pull everything out of the cupboards and clean every surface we can find with disinfectant. We're also going to take care of some minor maintenance that needs doing to the outhouse.
There will likely be enough time for interested people to do a little exploring and scrambling around the hut too, so it won't be all work and no fun.
We'll then be heading back to the cars on Sunday night brimming with a sense of self satisfaction for helping keep one of the club's huts in good shape.
This is definitely beginner friendly and absolutely no 'I can fix stuff' skill is required.