VOC trips are organized by members like yourself, not professional guides. The trips go into wilderness areas where assistance is unavailable and unexpected events can occur. You could be seriously injured or die. You are responsible for your own actions. Please use caution.
Introduction to Mountaineering · Saturday, June 8th
Warning: This is an old trip - it already happened
- Details Page: Where you can see brief trip details (publicly viewable).
- Wiki Page: For additional information/organization (publicly viewable).
- Message Board Thread: Discuss this trip with other members here.
- Signup Page: Where you can signup, bail, edit participation entries, see/email members on the trip, etc.
- Drivers Page: Where you can arrange rides, get pickup directions and email by car.
- Wikitext Page: From where you can cut and paste information formatted for the wiki.
- Printable List Page: Which generates a printable list of participants.
- Edit Page: Where the trip organizer can edit the entry for this trip.
- Mark Going Page: Where members of the exec and the trip organizer can sign members up as "actually going".
- Modify Signups: Where the trip organizer can change signup classes.
Start: Saturday, Jun. 8th, 8:00 am
Pre-trip meeting: Tuesday, Jun. 4th
Pre-trip meeting location: Buch B315
Introduction to Mountaineering (ItM) is a 1-day course intended to teach safe and efficient means of travelling over glaciers, and is designed for beginners to snow and glacier travel. It is expected that you have previous backpacking and camping experience. This course is designed for people who have yet to take Glacier School. However, if you have taken Glacier School and want a refresher, the dry school will be a great opportunity for that. Please indicate if you've taken G1 and want a refresher when you sign up. We'll be travelling for a day to Cypress to learn how to self arrest, perform crevasse rescues, how to walk around on a rope team, and understand the mountains a little better.
Students must have overnight backpacking experience, a good attitude, and good general fitness. Some rope skills (such as belaying, common climbing knots, etc) are desirable but not absolutely necessary. In order to cram it all into one day we will be on the move all day regardless of the weather - please be prepared for that.
The dry school is mandatory, so if you don't show up to the dry school, you will lose your spot on the trip and someone on the waitlist will get the chance to learn about glaciers instead of you. The dry school is open to everyone, not just people taking ItM. If you have taken G1 and want a knot/crevasse rescue refresher, come on by.
Steph will also be running a G1 refresher for a handful of participants, so again, please indicate if you are signing up for the G1 Refresher or Introduction to Mountaineering.
For the sign up tool, 1-24 on the "Committed" list has set spots. #25-35 are on the waitlist but should come to the Dryschool anyway and hope spots free up.