VOC trips are organized by members like yourself, not professional guides. The trips go into wilderness areas where assistance is unavailable and unexpected events can occur. You could be seriously injured or die. You are responsible for your own actions. Please use caution.
Beginner friendly: Super Cycle to Sooke (potholes)! · Sat. Jun. 1st - Sun. Jun. 2nd
Warning: This is an old trip - it already happened
- Details Page: Where you can see brief trip details (publicly viewable).
- This trip does not have an associated Wiki Page.
- Message Board Thread: Discuss this trip with other members here.
- Signup Page: Where you can signup, bail, edit participation entries, see/email members on the trip, etc.
- Drivers Page: Where you can arrange rides, get pickup directions and email by car.
- Wikitext Page: From where you can cut and paste information formatted for the wiki.
- Printable List Page: Which generates a printable list of participants.
- Edit Page: Where the trip organizer can edit the entry for this trip.
- Mark Going Page: Where members of the exec and the trip organizer can sign members up as "actually going".
- Modify Signups: Where the trip organizer can change signup classes.
Start: Saturday, Jun. 1st, 8:00 am
End: Sunday, Jun. 2nd, 5:00 pm
Pre-trip meeting: Wednesday, May. 29th, 7:00 pm
Pre-trip meeting location: PRETRIP CANCELLED (lack of attendees)
So I got pretty inspired by the amazing weather last week and decided I wanted to go cycling and camping on one of the islands. After some discussion, we landed on a trip to the Sooke potholes on the 1st, 2nd of June. It will be a pretty relaxed, beginner friendly bike trip - the primary goal is to swim, cycle and enjoy the sun on the island.
Planning to get the ferry from Tsawwassen over to Swartz bay, cycle down to Victoria/Sannich area then turn right and head across towards Sooke. Basically following this route .
According to google this is about 80 km and will take around 5 hours. We'll probably stop for lunch in Sannich where the B marker on the route is. Once we get to the campground we can swim in the potholes and do a little bit of exploring. I'm told there is some cliff diving to be had too. Saturday night we can cook up a feast and since weight isn't a huge problem, let's have a desert potluck. We'll head back the same way on Sunday.
The ferry is $15.50 + $2 (for bikes) one way and the campground is $25 for a 4 person spot, $10 for each additional spot. I figure this makes it $3.75 each if we get 12 people and 3 spots. We can make reservations here .
You'll need a sleeping mat and a sleeping bag, but we'll probably have enough tents and stoves to go around. You'll also need some way of carrying your stuff on the bike, I'm probably going to bring panniers but cycling with your pack on is probably an option too. Bring a puncture repair kit if you have one (I'll bring a few).
Also, helmets are mandatory.
I'm pretty excited about this trip; the Sooke potholes look scenic as all get out and the cycle to Sooke goes along an old railway through the forest. Should be lots of fun!