VOC trips are organized by members like yourself, not professional guides. The trips go into wilderness areas where assistance is unavailable and unexpected events can occur. You could be seriously injured or die. You are responsible for your own actions. Please use caution.
Harrison Hut Routefinding · Sat. Jul. 6th - Sun. Jul. 7th
Warning: This is an old trip - it already happened
- Details Page: Where you can see brief trip details (publicly viewable).
- This trip does not have an associated Wiki Page.
- Message Board Thread: Discuss this trip with other members here.
- Signup Page: Where you can signup, bail, edit participation entries, see/email members on the trip, etc.
- Drivers Page: Where you can arrange rides, get pickup directions and email by car.
- Wikitext Page: From where you can cut and paste information formatted for the wiki.
- Printable List Page: Which generates a printable list of participants.
- Edit Page: Where the trip organizer can edit the entry for this trip.
- Mark Going Page: Where the trip organizer can sign members up as "actually going".
- Modify Signups: Where the trip organizer can change signup classes.
Start: Saturday, Jul. 6th
End: Sunday, Jul. 7th, 11:00 pm
Pre-trip meeting: Wednesday, Jul. 3rd, 7:00 pm
Pre-trip meeting location: At the BBQ
Since August 2010, when half of Mt. Meager collapsed in one of the largest worldwide landslides since 1945, the VOC's Harrison Hut has been an elusive place as kilometers of the road and 2 bridges needed to get there were destroyed. Since then Ben and I have been directing VOC labour on a new route on the other (geologically stable) side of the valley. After a series of route-finding trips, rock moving trips, and finally route-clearing trips the first half of the route was more-or-less completed last year.
On the May long weekend we managed to bring the first half of the route to near completion, and accomplished about half the flagging necessary for the second half. What I'd like to do on this weekend is push the flagging all the way to the hut. We already know (more or less) where we want to put the trail. We would sleep at the hut.
Since it's a long drive and a good portion of the route is bushwacking I am looking for some fast people to accompany me.
If available, it would also be great to a small group of additional people to do work on the first leg of the trail. Especially if somebody has (or knows how to use - we could rent) a chainsaw as there are some major deadfall problems. These people would camp on the logging road in between the two trail segments. It will be somewhat of an experiment to see how much work these people are able to do, as the combination of a long drive and the hike out makes for a short work day. Ideally somebody in this group would be able to take a leadership role so these people could be self-managed.
MEC will pay for gas, but passengers will be expected to make a small contribution towards wear-and-tear on the vehicles.