VOC trips are organized by members like yourself, not professional guides. The trips go into wilderness areas where assistance is unavailable and unexpected events can occur. You could be seriously injured or die. You are responsible for your own actions. Please use caution.
Harrison Hut Workhike: Long Weekend · Sat. Oct. 12th - Mon. Oct. 14th
Warning: This is an old trip - it already happened
- Details Page: Where you can see brief trip details (publicly viewable).
- Wiki Page: For additional information/organization (publicly viewable).
- Message Board Thread: Discuss this trip with other members here.
- Signup Page: Where you can signup, bail, edit participation entries, see/email members on the trip, etc.
- Drivers Page: Where you can arrange rides, get pickup directions and email by car.
- Wikitext Page: From where you can cut and paste information formatted for the wiki.
- Printable List Page: Which generates a printable list of participants.
- Edit Page: Where the trip organizer can edit the entry for this trip.
- Mark Going Page: Where members of the exec and the trip organizer can sign members up as "actually going" (members can also sign themselves up as "actually going" on this trip, using the signup page).
- Modify Signups: Where the trip organizer can change signup classes.
Start: Saturday, Oct. 12th, 5:00 am
End: Monday, Oct. 14th, 10:00 pm
Pre-trip meeting: Thursday, Oct. 10th, 8:00 pm
Pre-trip meeting location: VOC Clubroom
Since August 2010, when half of Mt. Meager collapsed in one of the largest worldwide landslides since 1945, the VOC's Harrison Hut has been an elusive place as kilometers of the road and 2 bridges needed to get there were destroyed. Since then Christian and I have been directing VOC labour on a new route on the other (geologically stable) side of the valley. After a series of route-finding trips, rock moving trips, and finally route-clearing trips the first half of the route was more-or-less completed last year. Route clearing continues on the second half of the route.
We will be doing work on the trail with an emphasis on the second half of the trail. Exact details will be determined at the pretrip meeting based on who will be coming. We have chainsaws, handsaws, pruners, and dirt moving equipment for trail building.
We will have the some people staying on the middle section of trail near hotsprings creek to work on building logs on the sidehill sections to create a level footbed.
Our MEC will pay for gas, but passengers will be expected to make a small contribution towards wear-and-tear on the vehicles.
This weekend will mark 30 years since the hut was built. The hut was built on the Thanksgiving Day long weekend in 1983.