VOC trips are organized by members like yourself, not professional guides. The trips go into wilderness areas where assistance is unavailable and unexpected events can occur. You could be seriously injured or die. You are responsible for your own actions. Please use caution.
The other Thanksgiving - Beginner friendly Phelix trip · Sat. Nov. 30th - Sun. Dec. 1st
Warning: This is an old trip - it already happened
- Details Page: Where you can see brief trip details (publicly viewable).
- Wiki Page: For additional information/organization (publicly viewable).
- Message Board Thread: Discuss this trip with other members here.
- Signup Page: Where you can signup, bail, edit participation entries, see/email members on the trip, etc.
- Drivers Page: Where you can arrange rides, get pickup directions and email by car.
- Wikitext Page: From where you can cut and paste information formatted for the wiki.
- Printable List Page: Which generates a printable list of participants.
- Edit Page: Where the trip organizer can edit the entry for this trip.
- Mark Going Page: Where the trip organizer can sign members up as "actually going".
- Modify Signups: Where the trip organizer can change signup classes.
Start: Saturday, Nov. 30th, 6:00 am
End: Sunday, Dec. 1st
Pre-trip meeting: Wednesday, Nov. 27th, 5:30 pm
Pre-trip meeting location: Tables outside club room
It's that one weekend a year when all the Americans are longing for turkey, and all the Canadians are wondering what the big deal is...
Rather than spend the weekend after American Thanksgiving wishing I was eating leftover turkey 3,000 miles away, I decided to organize my own Thanksgiving! We'll snowshoe or ski to Phelix, play in the snow for a while (assuming there's enough snow to play in), then have a potluck. I'm still working on figuring out how to make turkey happen, but I'm confident that there will be pumpkin pie.
A few logistical notes: This trip is beginner friendly, but not instructional. I don't know how to ski, and Phelix is not the place to learn. I'm going to ask that everyone who falls into the beginner category uses snowshoes. Those who know what they are doing are welcome to ski, or choose their own method of self-propelled snow travel. The destination for this trip may change, depending on snow conditions and the number of people who sign up.
Please check out the gear list for winter hut trips and the message board if you have any questions or comments!