VOC trips are organized by members like yourself, not professional guides. The trips go into wilderness areas where assistance is unavailable and unexpected events can occur. You could be seriously injured or die. You are responsible for your own actions. Please use caution.
Intro to Navigation - Field Course · Sunday, October 27th
Warning: This is an old trip - it already happened
- Details Page: Where you can see brief trip details (publicly viewable).
- This trip does not have an associated Wiki Page.
- Message Board Thread: Discuss this trip with other members here.
- Signup Page: Where you can signup, bail, edit participation entries, see/email members on the trip, etc.
- Drivers Page: Where you can arrange rides, get pickup directions and email by car.
- Wikitext Page: From where you can cut and paste information formatted for the wiki.
- Printable List Page: Which generates a printable list of participants.
- Edit Page: Where the trip organizer can edit the entry for this trip.
- Mark Going Page: Where the trip organizer can sign members up as "actually going".
- Modify Signups: Where the trip organizer can change signup classes.
Start: Sunday, Oct. 27th, 5:00 am
Pre-trip meeting: Tuesday, Oct. 22nd, 7:00 pm
Pre-trip meeting location: Clubroom
Together, we will plan and hike a route up Tricouni Peak without looking at Matt Gunn's route description (he'd make it too easy). Probably we will be stopped by snow/turnaround time, but summiting isn't really the goal.
We will practice
- route planning
- topo map reading
- basic compass work (no compasses without adjustable declination please)
- altimeter usage
- and perhaps a bit of GPS stuff (I don't own one, but if there's desire)
Group is limited to one carload per instructor. Other instructors can take groups to other locations. If you would like to instruct, please let me know.
No navigation experience is required, but participants who did not take any of the summer courses should read this or do equivant research prior to the pre-trip. All participants must have alpine hiking experience and be comfortable with fall hiking in the Coast Mountains. This trip will not be cancelled due to average crappy weather, so please be prepared to hike in rain and snow. No skis please.
Pre-trip is mandatory as we will be planning the route and starting the instruction.
I don't claim to be an expert, and my only qualification is returning from every trip I've been on. But if you're the type who hangs at the back while others figure out where the group is going, I can probably show you a few things.