VOC trips are organized by members like yourself, not professional guides. The trips go into wilderness areas where assistance is unavailable and unexpected events can occur. You could be seriously injured or die. You are responsible for your own actions. Please use caution.
Avalanche Skills Training 2013-2014 Block 8, AST2 CANCELLED! · Sat. Feb. 1st - Sun. Feb. 9th
Warning: This is an old trip - it already happened
Warning, this trip has been cancelled
- Details Page: Where you can see brief trip details (publicly viewable).
- This trip does not have an associated Wiki Page.
- Message Board Thread: Discuss this trip with other members here.
- This trip does not use the signup tool.
- Wikitext Page: From where you can cut and paste information formatted for the wiki.
- Printable List Page: Which generates a printable list of participants.
- Edit Page: Where the trip organizer can edit the entry for this trip.
- Modify Signups: Where the trip organizer can change signup classes.
Start: Saturday, Feb. 1st
End: Sunday, Feb. 9th
CANCELLED DUE TO LACK OF REGISTRATIONS! However, CWMS has kindly offered placement for VOC members in public AST 2 courses at the VOC rate. Call or email for details.
Get super psyched everyone, it's time for Avalanche Skills Training with Canada West Mountain School! These are professionally taught AST courses offered to the VOC for a bulk-buy-bargain. This year we are offering AST 1+ for skiers/boarders, AST 1 for snowshoers and AST 2 for skiers/boarders. Here's the deal, at least 8 (and maximum 16) people need to sign up for each block (5-8 people for AST 2) by the designated cutoff date. If the block fills then all is well and the course will go ahead, if not the block is cancelled and you get your money back. Please see below for block dates, course descriptions and costs. Check out http://www.themountainschool.com/ for more info on CWMS. Note that there is no signup tool for this course, sign ups will only be accepted in person at the clubroom with payment (cash, check or credit card). One final note, of you are not comfortable on a pair of skis on moderate backcountry terrain, then AST 1 for snowshoers is for you. Please think carefully before signing up.
Block 8 Feb 1/2 - AST2(Part 1) (Cutoff Date Jan 24)
Feb 8/9 - AST2(Part 2)
AST-2 Advanced Avalanche Safety
An excellent opportunity to learn with our highly experienced Level 2 Avalanche Instructors, this
4-day course is a technical Avalanche Safety program with an in-depth focus on advanced
Designed around the CAA Avalanche Skills Training - Level 2 Course (AST-2) curriculum,
our program emphasizes hands-on development of skills and techniques to assist in decision
making, route finding, terrain evaluation, snow profile interpretation and rescue techniques.
• AST-1 is a prerequisite
• This course is for Skiers and Splitboarders only. No snowshoes!
• You are responsible for all your own gear
• Avalanche packages: you can rent from MEC for FREE if you show them proof of
enrolment. Be sure to reserve ahead of time. We ask that you do this instead of
borrowing from us to free up gear for others. Talk to a QM if this is a problem. You
can also rent from CWMS for $25
• Ski gear: Can be borrowed from VOC. No guarantees though so make sure to get
• You are responsible for all personal gear. If you?re taking this course you should
probably know what that entails
• The course will only run if at least FIVE people register by the registration deadline. If
it fills we?ll email you to come pick up study materials. If it doesn?t we?ll email you to
come get your money back.
• There is a maximum of 8 people
Sign up form:
Name: Full name please
Rental: Want to rent a beacon, shovel, probe from CWMS? If yes, add $25
Pass: Need TWO Whistler backcountry passes? If you don?t have your own, then yes.
$50 each (= $100 if you don?t have your own)
Total = $475 (+ whistler pass + avalanche gear rental)
This includes HST
• Cash: Deposit in individual envelope labelled with person?s name and the amount.
Put this in the large envelope for the course
• Cheque: Place in course envelope
• MC/Visa: Write on a piece of paper the persons:
• Full name
• Card number
• Card expiration date