Members can insert new events into the calendar
and signup for trips, but please read the instructions
VOC trips are organized by members like yourself, not professional guides. The trips go into wilderness areas where assistance is unavailable and unexpected events can occur. You could be seriously injured or die. You are responsible for your own actions. Please use caution.
Winter Longhike (Mt. Seymour) 2014 · Sat. Jan. 11th - Sun. Jan. 12th
Warning: This is an old trip - it already happened
Warning, this trip has been cancelled : Postponed to later date due to insufficient snow conditions!
- Details Page: Where you can see brief trip details (publicly viewable).
- Wiki Page: For additional information/organization (publicly viewable).
- Message Board Thread: Discuss this trip with other members here.
- Signup Page: Where you can signup, bail, edit participation entries, see/email members on the trip, etc.
- Drivers Page: Where you can arrange rides, get pickup directions and email by car.
- Wikitext Page: From where you can cut and paste information formatted for the wiki.
- Printable List Page: Which generates a printable list of participants.
- Edit Page: Where the trip organizer can edit the entry for this trip.
- Mark Going Page: Where the trip organizer can sign members up as "actually going".
- Modify Signups: Where the trip organizer can change signup classes.
Organized by: Jens Vent-Schmidt
Start: Saturday, Jan. 11th
End: Sunday, Jan. 12th
Pre-trip meeting: Wednesday, Jan. 8th, 6:30 pm
Pre-trip meeting location: BUCH A102 MAPDescription:
Winter Longhike is coming up!!!
This is an introductory trip for winter camping. We'll be a large group of keen people that want to experience a totally new face of the white backcountry.
We'll be having great fun and learning new skills such as building our very own snow shelter (or if you're ambitious enough a snow castle). There will be a prize for the most elaborate snow-cave :D
Other activities likely to happen include (but are not limited to):
Backcountry food cook-off
Great skiing on Sunday
This is an easy and über-beginner friendly trip and if you've never seen snow you're more than welcome to join. This is trip is also, ski-, snowboard-, and snowshoe-friendly.
Although beginner friendly and relatively easy, do not under estimate Winter Longhike - it is still a trip to a backcountry location where your survival depends on your actions and equipment. Due to the massive size of the group you will not be micro-managed - you are responsible for your own safety and actions this especially includes asking for help. If you have some common sense and can follow simple instructions this should be not problem. There will be plenty of experienced people around that will be happy to help you if you ask them, but there won't be assigned instructors.
You should form smaller sub groups (easiest is with the rest of the people in your car) and look out for each other, this will be sorted out at the pre-trip meeting so have no fear.
Posted: 2013-10-25 13:54:10
Last modified: 2014-01-02 16:31:26