Members can insert new events into the calendar
and signup for trips, but please read the instructions
VOC trips are organized by members like yourself, not professional guides. The trips go into wilderness areas where assistance is unavailable and unexpected events can occur. You could be seriously injured or die. You are responsible for your own actions. Please use caution.
Jared Stanley Memorial Lecture · Wednesday, November 27th
Warning: This is an old trip - it already happened
- Details Page: Where you can see brief trip details (publicly viewable).
- This trip does not have an associated Wiki Page.
- Message Board Thread: Discuss this trip with other members here.
- Signup Page: Where you can signup, bail, edit participation entries, see/email members on the trip, etc.
- Wikitext Page: From where you can cut and paste information formatted for the wiki.
- Printable List Page: Which generates a printable list of participants.
- Edit Page: Where the trip organizer can edit the entry for this trip.
- Mark Going Page: Where members of the exec and the trip organizer can sign members up as "actually going".
- Modify Signups: Where the trip organizer can change signup classes.
Organized by: Fisal Elstone
Start: Wednesday, Nov. 27th, 7:00 pmDescription:
In January 2005, Jared Stanley, a UBC student, passed away while back country skiing on Mount Seymour. An anual memorial lecture was held for the first couple of years after Jared's death, but as many of Jareds friends and colleagues left UBC running the event became more difficult. One year the VOC decided to adopt the lecture series and every year since, the VOC has hosted the Jared Stanley Memorial Lecure: this year's will be the 9th installment. While Jared wasn't a VOCer, he's the sort of guy that probably would have ended up knocking on the VOC's door at some point, so we sort of adopted him and the lecture.
Jared's family, Anna and Bob Parton, fly out from Texas every year to attend the lecture and speak a little bit about Jared. The Partons are great speakers and great people. In previous years, after learning about SPOT devices from our guest speaker, a Search and Rescue team member, they promptly went out and bought the club a three pack of the devices because they felt that if such a device had existed back in 2005, then maybe Jared would still be with us. Much like the VOC sort of adopted Jared, the Partons sort of adopted the VOC.
The Partons memories of Jared will be followed by a talk given by Connie DeBoer a coordinator and responder for North Shore Search and Rescue. As outdoor enthusiasts we emphasize the need for awarness and self suffeciency, however, we can't prepare for everything, and often when things do go wrong we turn to search and resuce. Connie will provide insights on her own experiences as both a resucer and as an outdoors person and will share tips and strategies to ensure that we have fun in the backcountry and more importantly, that everyone comes home.
This is an interesting, emotional, and insightful event for members of all experience levels we encourage everyone to come out for this anual event. This is open to the public, not just club members.
Date: November 27th 2013
Location: Buchanan B215
Posted: 2013-10-31 17:44:20
Last modified: 2013-11-26 11:55:54