VOC trips are organized by members like yourself, not professional guides. The trips go into wilderness areas where assistance is unavailable and unexpected events can occur. You could be seriously injured or die. You are responsible for your own actions. Please use caution.
Reading week Sphinx camp · Sat. Feb. 15th - Sun. Feb. 23rd
Warning: This is an old trip - it already happened
- Details Page: Where you can see brief trip details (publicly viewable).
- Wiki Page: For additional information/organization (publicly viewable).
- Message Board Thread: Discuss this trip with other members here.
- Signup Page: Where you can signup, bail, edit participation entries, see/email members on the trip, etc.
- Drivers Page: Where you can arrange rides, get pickup directions and email by car.
- Wikitext Page: From where you can cut and paste information formatted for the wiki.
- Printable List Page: Which generates a printable list of participants.
- Edit Page: Where the trip organizer can edit the entry for this trip.
- Mark Going Page: Where members of the exec and the trip organizer can sign members up as "actually going" (members can also sign themselves up as "actually going" on this trip, using the signup page).
- Modify Signups: Where the trip organizer can change signup classes.
Start: Saturday, Feb. 15th, 5:00 am
End: Sunday, Feb. 23rd, 11:00 pm
Traditionally, many VOCers swarm Sphinx Bay (Burton hut) during the reading break for skiing, mountaineering and sing-alongs in the hut.
This trip is loosely organized, with small groups having their own objectives for the day and choosing the length of their stay. Each group needs to be self-sufficient and comfortable making decisions. Be aware that the snow coverage is very low this year and that most of the glaciers are still highly crevassed. AST-1 or equivalent and glacier/mountaineering skills are highly recommended if you want to ski or get on some peaks. However, if you don't have such skills you can still enjoy and explore Sphinx bay or Sentinal bay, hang out in the hut, built snowcaves and enjoy the hike to get there and some amazing views.
On the sign-up tool you can sign yourself up as interested, committed (if you know for sure you want to come) and going (if you know that you have a ride). If you are a driver please indicate how many people you can take. Furthermore people can post what they want to do at Sphinx bay and what their experience levels are.
There is also this wiki page with more information and there people can post their intentions.
If you have any questions, please post them in the message board thread.