VOC trips are organized by members like yourself, not professional guides. The trips go into wilderness areas where assistance is unavailable and unexpected events can occur. You could be seriously injured or die. You are responsible for your own actions. Please use caution.
Skiing in Manning (Beginner-friendly) · Sat. Feb. 22nd - Sun. Feb. 23rd
Warning: This is an old trip - it already happened
- Details Page: Where you can see brief trip details (publicly viewable).
- This trip does not have an associated Wiki Page.
- Message Board Thread: Discuss this trip with other members here.
- Signup Page: Where you can signup, bail, edit participation entries, see/email members on the trip, etc.
- Drivers Page: Where you can arrange rides, get pickup directions and email by car.
- Wikitext Page: From where you can cut and paste information formatted for the wiki.
- Printable List Page: Which generates a printable list of participants.
- Edit Page: Where the trip organizer can edit the entry for this trip.
- Mark Going Page: Where the trip organizer can sign members up as "actually going".
- Modify Signups: Where the trip organizer can change signup classes.
Start: Saturday, Feb. 22nd
End: Sunday, Feb. 23rd
Pre-trip meeting: Wednesday, Feb. 19th, 7:00 pm
Pre-trip meeting location: Clubroom or in front of the clubroom
Given the avy risk, it'd probably be nice to ski on heavily treed, simpler terrain where access is easy, we can back out from skiing something risky-looking without too much problem, and where there'll still be plenty of fresh powder. Last week, backcountry skiing on Mt Kelly in Manning park was great and according to the Baldwin book there are at least 3 destinations in Manning park which fit the bill: 3 Brothers Mtn, Mt Kelly, and slackcountry skiing from the resort (backcountry passes $10 each). I think another trip to Manning may be a good idea for next weekend.
Maybe, if the avy risk goes down a bit further, we can think about some other destinations in Manning. If there's not so much interest in skiing in Manning, but people can think of other places which are well-protected from avy risk and still be great skiing, we can discuss this at the pretrip meeting and figure something out.
This trip is meant to be beginner friendly. Access to the places we end up deciding on will be low-risk even if they're not necessarily low-output.